What's new

Fastest way to get a SP3?

Nitemare

I'm facing a situation... I'm about to leave the country on the day of the official release. I REALLY want to get a SP3 instead of using my SP2 while I'm gone for a couple months. I have no idea if/how I'd be able to get one where I'm going... maybe using BestBuy through an APO/FPO, but I also don't want everything to go out of stock.

Does anyone know how I might be able to get one the morning of release day or swindle my way into getting one the night before? MS Store has been less than fruitful in giving me any ideas, and the closest one is 2 hours away so that's out of the question on release day. BestBuy is close, but can't give me any stock information until the DAY OF for whatever reason. No luck so far with Microcenter either, and that's the opposite direction that I'm heading on my way to the airport.

Any ideas?!

Klownicle

I'm facing a situation... I'm about to leave the country on the day of the official release. I REALLY want to get a SP3 instead of using my SP2 while I'm gone for a couple months. I have no idea if/how I'd be able to get one where I'm going... maybe using BestBuy through an APO/FPO, but I also don't want everything to go out of stock.

Does anyone know how I might be able to get one the morning of release day or swindle my way into getting one the night before? MS Store has been less than fruitful in giving me any ideas, and the closest one is 2 hours away so that's out of the question on release day. BestBuy is close, but can't give me any stock information until the DAY OF for whatever reason. No luck so far with Microcenter either, and that's the opposite direction that I'm heading on my way to the airport.

Any ideas?!

Your SOL on getting one the night before, if you need it that morning, pre order in store at BestBuy right now. They will do a 50$ giftcard that you can use towards the purchase of the Surface Pro 3 when you pick it up (that's there way of reserving it). The possibility of pre-order and arrival at the MicrosoftStore online have past, shipping is already beginning, and the i5 128GB model is back-ordered to 5/30 now. The best buy pre-order is a nothing lost nothing gained scenario. Best option for you my friend :) That way, you not tied down to any actual purchase, just a 50$ giftcard.

kristalsoldier

Your SOL on getting one the night before, if you need it that morning, pre order in store at BestBuy right now. They will do a 50$ giftcard that you can use towards the purchase of the Surface Pro 3 when you pick it up (that's there way of reserving it). The possibility of pre-order and arrival at the MicrosoftStore online have past, shipping is already beginning, and the i5 128GB model is back-ordered to 5/30 now. The best buy pre-order is a nothing lost nothing gained scenario. Best option for you my friend :) That way, you not tied down to any actual purchase, just a 50$ giftcard.

Though the OP did mention the problem with accessing a B&M MS Store, would that be an option though to get an i5 128GB unit? I am asking because I will be arriving in a different country (Canada) on the 20th in the morning and was thinking of zipping down to the local MS Specialty Store as soon as I drop off my bags at the hotel.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You will most likely be able to get one at the MS store, but expect a long line, I waited 2.5 hours to pick up a second RT for my wife after she saw mine on launch day....

First I would confirm with BestBuy that they will have them on the 20th, I read in another forum that a member was told the BestBuy stores will lag 2 days behind the Microsoft Store. I believe if you pre-order from the Microsoft Store you can select pick-up at a local store (seems to be conflict on shipping meaning will it ship on the 20th or will it ship early to arrive on the 20th if you have it sent to home/work) or you can visit your local store and place the order and be sure to ask if your order will for sure be available on the 20th for pick-up (I think this is probably your best bet). I kind of think Microsoft it trying to hype up the pre-ordering too much as in there will be no problem just walking in and picking one up without a pre-order unless production is really small for the initial launch. Only reason I say that is I've been to my local BestBuy a few times now and I've been able to walk right up the the SP3 and not have to wait for other people and I'd be playing with it for about 15 minutes and there was no one waiting on me to finish with it.

kristalsoldier

You will most likely be able to get one at the MS store, but expect a long line, I waited 2.5 hours to pick up a second RT for my wife after she saw mine on launch day....

In Canada (Toronto)???? Regardless, I would not mind waiting though I had promised myself that I would not wait in line for an electronic device - but I need this one for my work. And, I will be traveling with only one device so if I don't get it, I will be in a jam of sorts.

But there are Best Buys and Micro Worlds in Toronto, I think. I believe there are also two MS stores in Toronto of which one is a Specialty Store.

Last edited:

mohcho

The "specialty store" in the Eaton Centre in Toronto is a kiosk. I picked up my SP2 there before and returned it there as well. They would have very limited stock of items as there is no storage space, outside of the counter drawer storage.

kristalsoldier

The "specialty store" in the Eaton Centre in Toronto is a kiosk. I picked up my SP2 there before and returned it there as well. They would have very limited stock of items as there is no storage space, outside of the counter drawer storage.

Oohhh...yes, I think I saw it there the last time I was there in March. What about the store in Mississauga? Or, the Best Buy in Eaton Center?

mohcho

Oohhh...yes, I think I saw it there the last time I was there in March. What about the store in Mississauga? Or, the Best Buy in Eaton Center?

Your best bet would be Yorkdale, where they have a full blown store or in Square One in Mississauga, which is the same. Best Buy or Future Shop would probably only have a limited quantity on hand and most of them would be caught up in a pre-order. That's the same issue I had when I was looking for a Nexus 7. I got lucky in store that someone cancelled their web order so they freed one up, otherwise they were all sold out, even though they had them in stock.

kristalsoldier

Your best bet would be Yorkdale, where they have a full blown store or in Square One in Mississauga, which is the same. Best Buy or Future Shop would probably only have a limited quantity on hand and most of them would be caught up in a pre-order. That's the same issue I had when I was looking for a Nexus 7. I got lucky in store that someone cancelled their web order so they freed one up, otherwise they were all sold out, even though they had them in stock.

Thanks! Since you are in or from Toronto, can you tell me how far is Yorkdale from the Central Business District - say from the Hilton in the center of town? I have been to Mississauga - it's quite far away. But in a crunch probably doable.

WorldIRC

Thanks! Since you are in or from Toronto, can you tell me how far is Yorkdale from the Central Business District - say from the Hilton in the center of town? I have been to Mississauga - it's quite far away. But in a crunch probably doable.

25 minutes via the Subway (which has a Yorkdale stop)