What's new

Feb. 2014 update still won't install properly

ihaveabu

The update was installed on 2/11/2014 and was available on that date as well.

However, every few days, the firmware would either uninstall or something and show up as needing to be installed again.

Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

Windows Update wants me to install it again today and this is starting to get annoying. This whole time, a day or two after each install of the firmware, the SP2 would hibernate properly on battery. The rest of the time it doesn't so I'm assuming something is causing my firmware installs to not stick...

GoodBytes

Be sure that your Surface Pro 2 is plugged in, and FULLY charged at 100%
Then be sure that you have the cover keyboard plugged in, and in laptop mode (not flipped on the back).

Now, try again.

OP
I

ihaveabu

I have updated every time with cover in type mode (flat on desk) and power plugged in. Never installed firmware patch without power plugged in

GoodBytes

Was the battery fully charged at 100%?
Did you replace any drivers from the system?
Did you use a registry cleaner at some point?

OP
I

ihaveabu

Was the battery fully charged at 100%?
Did you replace any drivers from the system?
Did you use a registry cleaner at some point?

I run CCleaner's registry cleaner every couple of weeks and yes the battery is 100% charged. I have not replaced any drivers.

GoodBytes

You should not registry cleaner. Beside being useless, it breaks Windows.

Why is it useless?
To put it simply: the registry is a database. The cool thing about databases, is that they don't slow down the system as bigger it gets. Look at this forum. Do you see it become slower as more and more posted added? Nope.
That's the power of the database. It allows access of entry in a flash, and always at the same speed.

So cleaning it provides no benefit, all you have is Windows problem that is usually discovered much later on, especially when it comes to upgrading Windows to a newer version.

So now it's fixing this:
You can try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

If that does not help after reboot. Then, you can try, but I doubt it:
-> Open the Command Prompt as true Admin
-> type: sfc /scannow
And let it run without having your computer go on sleep during this time.

Once done, reboot, and see if it fixed anything.
If nothing, then you may need to refresh your system, I am afraid.

Last edited:
OP
I

ihaveabu

Running /scannow. Never had an issue with CCleaner's registry cleaner before and I don't use any other cleaners.

You should not registry cleaner. Beside being useless, it breaks Windows.

Why is it useless?
To put it simply: the registry is a database. The cool thing about databases, is that they don't slow down the system as bigger it gets. Look at this forum. Do you see it become slower as more and more posted added? Nope.
That's the power of the database. It allows access of entry in a flash, and always at the same speed.

So cleaning it provides no benefit, all you have is Windows problem that is usually discovered much later on, especially when it comes to upgrading Windows to a newer version.

So now it's fixing this:
You can try this: How do I reset Windows Update components?

If that does not help after reboot. Then, you can try, but I doubt it:
-> Open the Command Prompt as true Admin
-> type: sfc /scannow
And let it run without having your computer go on sleep during this time.

Once done, reboot, and see if it fixed anything.
If nothing, then you may need to refresh your system, I am afraid.

OP
I

ihaveabu

installed the firmware patch again. I'll have to post back in a few days to a week to see if the firmware tries to reinstall itself.

In the meantime, I'm not going to use CCleaner. Does this mean that the Feb update was just a few registry fixes? If so, that seems like a half-assed fix that can be easily undone.