What's new

Finally a Solid Windows 10 Build for Surface 3

mtalinm

I took the leap and am very glad I did. 10162 is quite solid.

the auto-switch from tablet to desktop mode is really great. i only wish I could still summon the keyboard in tablet mode - annoying that I can't find the icon for it.

took several hours for my purchased movies to show up in the new app, but that is a minor complaint.

I would say go for it! even the latest Windows Phone build is pretty good.

Using mouse, right-click the taskbar (Or using your pen, hold down on your taskbar until the little circle draws completely around). There will be a menu with an option "show touch keyboard button.". Hopefully this is the only thing that's wrong, because otherwise, the button to summon the keyboard should be available for you.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Right click on task bar ;) There is treasure to be found.
You know finding treasure in an OS is not a good thing really, great for games but not so much in OSes.

I just had an incredibly bad experience with this and now fully understand the magnitude of stupidity in Win8/8.1/W10. My elderly father is now a little short on mental capacity and every day is a new day because he doesn't remember anything. Try explaining what to do to someone like that and you'll see why there's nothing to like in "Discovering" an OS. "Search" is insidiously insipid.

I'll assume the W10 continuous updates will deliver new UI experiences to "Discover" on a regular basis which is the absolute worst thing you could possibly do. There's the best argument ever for sticking with XP, never thought I'd say that, ever. I think MS likes to move stuff around just for the hell of it, there's certainly no logic to it.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
You know finding treasure in an OS is not a good thing really, great for games but not so much in OSes.

I just had an incredibly bad experience with this and now fully understand the magnitude of stupidity in Win8/8.1/W10. My elderly father is now a little short on mental capacity and every day is a new day because he doesn't remember anything. Try explaining what to do to someone like that and you'll see why there's nothing to like in "Discovering" an OS. "Search" is insidiously insipid.

I'll assume the W10 continuous updates will deliver new UI experiences to "Discover" on a regular basis which is the absolute worst thing you could possibly do. There's the best argument ever for sticking with XP, never thought I'd say that, ever. I think MS likes to move stuff around just for the hell of it, there's certainly no logic to it.

You should see my rant from last night about having to jump through hoops and delve into options just for file explorer to bring up "this pc" instead of recent files and folders... MS will have some real problems making this OS a success in the eyes of average joe if such silly things are missed. Having them in a hidden options page somewhere does not negate the fact that the default setup is stupid as hell. This kind of thing pisses me off, a user happy to run a beta OS for a year, jump in and out of settings. For the rest of the world, they'll just see it as "i can't manually call the keyboard in tablet mode" and that will be that, what a stupid poorly designed OS is what they'll think.

mtalinm

Right click on task bar ;) There is treasure to be found.
thank you.

overall I can't stand this compared to 8.1, which was really designed for "touch first." 10 is "desktop first" so I'll probably leave it on my laptop, but I think the Surface 3 is reverting before too long.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
thank you.

overall I can't stand this compared to 8.1, which was really designed for "touch first." 10 is "desktop first" so I'll probably leave it on my laptop, but I think the Surface 3 is reverting before too long.

while I agree to a point, i will take win 10 over 81 for touch usage any day of the week. 8.1 is good, but only if you intend to use touch alongside MUI apps. touch on 8.1 with desktop apps and usage is utterly worthless imo.

mtalinm

touch for desktop apps is better in what way? maybe I missed something.

what i miss most -- currently reverting -- is the browser. 8.1 browsing is wonderful, from swipe-up to see your tabs to swipe left to go back a screen, etc. with Edge/10 it's like using a desktop browser where you have to reach to the top of the screen for everything.

also, I hate not having OneDrive thumbnails. they are incredibly well thought out in 8.1

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
touch for desktop apps is better in what way? maybe I missed something.

what i miss most -- currently reverting -- is the browser. 8.1 browsing is wonderful, from swipe-up to see your tabs to swipe left to go back a screen, etc. with Edge/10 it's like using a desktop browser where you have to reach to the top of the screen for everything.

also, I hate not having OneDrive thumbnails. they are incredibly well thought out in 8.1
Unfortunately, I expect an update to Windows 8.1's implementation of OneDrive to make it compatible with the new backend, which will make it the same as Windows 10.

My understanding is the metadata of OneDrive was\is causing issues on the 16-32GB devices....

mtalinm

I've heard the opposite, that win10 will eventually have thumbnails. though I suspect you are right. this will make it "more like dropbox".

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've heard the opposite, that win10 will eventually have thumbnails. though I suspect you are right. this will make it "more like dropbox".
Windows 10 will have a replacement for the Thumbnails, but they will be a new solution and won't be available till after December.

They are fundamentally changing the Sync Engine based on the Groove Technology (OneDrive for Business), mainly due the fact the OneDrive for Business has all of the Cloud Security/Privacy Certifications, which OneDrive does not. We started seeing these changes in the OneDrive Mobile Apps about a year ago (iOS, Android and Windows Phone).