What's new

Finally, Pen Customization!!!

OP
A

ABswl13

Is it possible to program the pen to open OneNote 2016 desktop version in tablet mode? I can get the desktop version of OneNote to open clicking the top button on my Surface Pen once in DESKTOP mode, but when I click the button in tablet mode, OneNote opens but it doesn't appear. I still have to click on the task view and then click on the open OneNote file. So, is it not possible to get OneNote 2016 to automatically appear when clicking the top button if I'm in desktop mode?

Thank you for any answers!

mtmowl

Yes, it is possible to get OneNote 2016 to open from the pen button.

I have it set up that way now. I downloaded the "Surface app", which has a pen setup option available. Within the "pen" window, choose which clicking option you want, e.g. one click, etc. Choose "launch a desktop app', then browse to select your OneNote 2016 program. [this was the hardest part actually, finding the program! It was only on my taskbar.]

That was it. One click and OneNote 2016 opens up.

Now, does anyone know how to direct pen-initiated screenshots to OneNote 2016, instead of the mobile app?

Last edited:
OP
A

ABswl13

Thanks for the reply Mtmowl. The issue I'm having is not getting OneNote 2016 desktop version to open; rather, it's that if I am in "tablet mode" and click the top button, OneNote doesn't automatically appear over the tablet screen. It does open, but I have to switch to the desktop first and then I'm able to use OneNote. I don't know if I'm making sense, so I will rephrase my issue. Notice that the modern version of OneNote automatically appears when you click the Surface Pen in both desktop mode and tablet mode. OneNote appears on the screen immediately. However, if I click the button in tablet mode to open OneNote desktop version, OneNote opens in the desktop but does not appear on the screen. I have to go back to the desktop in order to see the opened OneNote program. Does that make sense?

Thanks again!

mtmowl

OK, now I understand. My app opens up directly, and I could only speculate why yours doesn't. Wish I had an answer. Perhaps it has something to do with the location of your app, or whether it was open when you first assigned it? Neither seems likely, but who knows?

OP
A

ABswl13

Oh, so your OneNote 2016 desktop version opens up immediately and appears on your screen even when you're on the tablet mode start-menu?? That's good news in that at least the functionality exists, but I don't know why I can't seem to get that to work...Do you happen to know what OneNote file you programmed to open when clicking the pen button?

mtmowl

Yes, it opens up under Tablet mode, and also with the clipboard detached.

I have OneNote 2016 installed on my taskbar, along with things like Firefox, Word, etc. As far as I can tell, that's the only place it resides in my computer, that it's not a link to another location. If you can find where you have it installed, that's probably the right place. I simply selected the 2016 icon under the taskbar listing in File Explorer, and it appeared in the dropdown box underneath the "launch a desktop app" box, underneath "Single-click" , within "Pen icon" within the Surface app.

Locating the app in the first place was the only hard part for me.

OP
A

ABswl13

Hey again Mtmowl, thanks for being patient with me, but I just want to confirm that when you are actually at the start menu in tablet mode, (i.e., the modern ui start menu showing your tiles), that upon clicking the top button, the OneNote 2016 desktop version appears on your screen. Is that correct? That is to say, you don't have to click on task view and then select OneNote from the task view, right? Like I've said before, I can open it in tablet mode, but OneNote doesn't automatically appear over my modern ui start menu. I first have to go to task view and then select the OneNote program. So, it takes me three steps to get to OneNote 2016, instead of just 1-step like in desktop mode.

Thanks again!

olimjj

Here is how to find the location of your OneNote 2010 2013 2016. If you have it on your taskbar right click on it. You will get a dialog popup with OneNote 2010 2013 or 2016 in it. Right click on it and chose properties from the new popup. In the new dialog box , on the bottom left you will see "open file location" Choose that and you will be brought to the directory path location of the .exe file. If it is in start menu. Right click on it. choose more and "open file location. Right click on the shortcut. Choose properties an "open file location"

Last edited:
Here is how to find the location of your OneNote 2010 2013 2016. If you have it on your taskbar right click on it. You will get a dialog popup with OneNote 2010 2013 or 2016 in it. Right click on it and chose properties from the new popup. In the new dialog box , on the bottom left you will see "open file location" Choose that and you will be brought to the directory path location of the .exe file. If it is in start menu. Right click on it. choose more and "open file location. Right click on the shortcut. Choose properties an "open file location"

Thanks, worked on the start menu icon as well. Just right click on the application and go to properties and the path is written in the "Target" box very easy and convenient (at least for me)