What's new

Finally, Pen Customization!!!

mtmowl

ABswl13,

No. It seems that I can't open it from the modern ui either, though I can from tablet mode on the desktop, as can you. The only suggestion I can offer is to pin 2016 to your taskbar, which should save you a click. Or you can just tap the icon on the taskbar and skip the pen top, if that suits your needs.

Sorry I misunderstood the issue.

Has anyone been able to map the OneNote Office 2016 'Take Screen Clipping' to a double click? Full Screen shot is built in but I grab slides from WebEx sessions and insert into my note all the time and having that would be cool.

The default Screen shot, opens a OneNote Windows doc and puts it in that.

mmo

Download Surface Pro 4 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center and get this SurfacePro4_Win10_151203_0.zip.
Extract the files - then...

Extract the ZIP file, navigate down to \Drivers\Pen and install the following:
SurfacePen
SurfacePenPairing
SurfacePenSettingsDriver

By going into each directory and right clicking the .INF file and select "Install"

Restart your SP3 Then re-pair your pen in Settings, Devices, Bluetooth.

Then you can open the Surface App and you will see the additional pen settings.

Now I copied and pasted this from a link in these forums from giblack71 - I'm not trying to take credit for his work. But this should install the drivers and if I am not mistaken the Surface App as well.
I went through the entire procedure on my SP3, then rebooted (only diff: since the pen was still known after that, I removed it and repaired it), but unfortunately I still get only the upper part of the surface pen dialog (i.e. the pressure sensitivity settings) but the lower, much more interesting part (button customization) is still missing! And thanks to fiddling with this I have by now lost that functionality completely, i.e. pressing my pen button has no effect whatsoever any more... :-(

Typical Microsoft BS!

Any ideas? How can I re-assign the button functions without that non-functioning app?

mmo

Download Surface Pro 4 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center and get this SurfacePro4_Win10_151203_0.zip.
Extract the files - then...

SurfacePen
SurfacePenPairing
SurfacePenSettingsDriver

By going into each directory and right clicking the .INF file and select "Install"

Now I copied and pasted this from a link in these forums from giblack71 - I'm not trying to take credit for his work. But this should install the drivers and if I am not mistaken the Surface App as well.
Just as a caveat:
It may just be a stupid coincidence, but since I installed the SP4 pen drivers as described above on my SP3 I am experiencing frequent "spontaneous reboots" on my SP3. I.e. my SP3 out of the blue suddenly crashes and immediately reboots (strange enough typically NOT while I am using it but while the system is idling).
Work in progress is then always lost and this starts to be REALLY annoying! :(

MatthewL8N

Has anyone been able to map the OneNote Office 2016 'Take Screen Clipping' to a double click? Full Screen shot is built in but I grab slides from WebEx sessions and insert into my note all the time and having that would be cool.

The default Screen shot, opens a OneNote Windows doc and puts it in that.
I too am looking for a way to do this. Haven't found anyway yet. Anyone else?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Good thinking, @MatthewL8N . Now that Microsoft has allowed for executables to be linked to pen button functions, the next step will be for them to provide the development kit tools for functions as you suggest. If there was an App which took a camera picture immediately upon launching, we could have this already. Unfortunately, camera interfacing is not yet possible.

My guess is functionality like this is only weeks away.

MatthewL8N

Good thinking, @MatthewL8N . Now that Microsoft has allowed for executables to be linked to pen button functions, the next step will be for them to provide the development kit tools for functions as you suggest. If there was an App which took a camera picture immediately upon launching, we could have this already. Unfortunately, camera interfacing is not yet possible.

My guess is functionality like this is only weeks away.
What about creating a .bat or .exe to execute a WIN+ command or keyboard shortcut? Would that be possible? I'm wanting to double click pen to open up OneNote's "New quick note", which is WIN+N

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
What about creating a .bat or .exe to execute a WIN+ command or keyboard shortcut? Would that be possible? I'm wanting to double click pen to open up OneNote's "New quick note", which is WIN+N

You could try creating a bat file such as the picture below. Other commands that OneNote respects can be found here: Command-line switches in Microsoft Office OneNote 2007 - OneNote

snip_20160118063115.png

tenjay

I have a surface pro 3 tablet and a surface pro 4 pen. I had no options for button customization in the surface app and I have tried to follow the above instructions for unpairing, reinstalling drivers, etc. The options did in fact show up, but after trying to reconfigure the button, I discovered that the options mysteriously disappeared again from the surface app. Any ideas?

I found a post that gave instructions to get the sp4 pen to work on the sp3, and can confirm it works.

First, you have un-pair your pen in the Bluetooth settings.

Then you have to uninstall the pen drivers (Device Manager: Right click: Uninstall and remove files the following entries: "HID-compliant pen" & "Surface Pen Settings").

Then you have to download the Surface Pro 4 drivers (Download Surface Pro 4 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center) SurfacePro4_Win10_151203_0.zip.

SurfacePen
SurfacePenPairing
SurfacePenSettingsDriver

from
Microsoft now lets you customize the buttons on Surface Pen with any apps you want

Chuck_IV

I have a surface pro 3 tablet and a surface pro 4 pen. I had no options for button customization in the surface app and I have tried to follow the above instructions for unpairing, reinstalling drivers, etc. The options did in fact show up, but after trying to reconfigure the button, I discovered that the options mysteriously disappeared again from the surface app. Any ideas?
You don't want to use those drivers on a SP3 anyway. They will cause lockups and blue screens. These drivers were the ones in the original Jan 2016 update that was causing issues and they rolled the drivers back, in and update.

These drives only seem to cause issues on the SP3 and not the SP4.

tenjay

They've caused no issues on my SP3. Any other ideas why the button customization options don't come up with the surface app?