What's new

Found Solution To SDXC Inaccessibility Woes...

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

Just makes u scratch ur head bc this same card was in my Asus t100 transformer for almost a year without incidence.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
My dad was a tool and die maker, made s lot of injection molds for all sorts of things and any kind of gear, rod, cam, lever, etc. you could think of. Tolerances were typically a thousandth of an inch, hundredths of a millimeter (.o25mm).

In an eight cavity mold for say plastic Spice container tops each cavity has to be made in the right spot with exact tolerances or the tops might have sharp edges, would be too loose or tight to open. Even one cavity with a defect would adversely affect quality. The same would apply to microSD cards. IDK how many they would make at once but something this small would likely be well into double digits. Thin 4mill electrical has a thickness of .1016 mm
Scotch tape is .038mm.

Scratch you head over that. Why would you need to add so much to the card? Other cards would have the same problem if the slot was too big. The slot is something made by a supplier that's fit to the board. IMO the most likely cause of this problem is inconsistency in the manufacture of the cards.

Then you have the ever present issue of fake cards on the market. i.e. a knockoff that's not a genuine product.

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

My dad was a tool and die maker, made s lot of injection molds for all sorts of things and any kind of gear, rod, cam, lever, etc. you could think of. Tolerances were typically a thousandth of an inch, hundredths of a millimeter (.o25mm).

In an eight cavity mold for say plastic Spice container tops each cavity has to be made in the right spot with exact tolerances or the tops might have sharp edges, would be too loose or tight to open. Even one cavity with a defect would adversely affect quality. The same would apply to microSD cards. IDK how many they would make at once but something this small would likely be well into double digits. Thin 4mill electrical has a thickness of .1016 mm
Scotch tape is .038mm.

Scratch you head over that. Why would you need to add so much to the card? Other cards would have the same problem if the slot was too big. The slot is something made by a supplier that's fit to the board. IMO the most likely cause of this problem is inconsistency in the manufacture of the cards.

Then you have the ever present issue of fake cards on the market. i.e. a knockoff that's not a genuine product.
That's all very interesting (honestly, pretty cool stuff), but from a consumerist standpoint, I just expect my high-end device to WORK. If these tolerances are so ultra-sensitive, I expect the manufacturer to design the receiving device to adapt to a range of widths and still operate.

I'm no Apple fanboy, but these types of annoyances are simply not as common, the devices just work. I want my sp3 to do the same.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get it, it's the SP3's fault the shoddy fake SD card you purchased on that discount site doesn't work reliably. TFB. :)
Get out your micrometer and measure the card, I want to know the dimensions.

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

Did you miss the bit about having it in my asus t100 for a good year or so without incident?

And I don't have a precision measurerer. You can mail me one if you like.

And it should be noted this is an authentic sandisk ultra 128gb microsd card, so far as I know. Because I purchaed it online shouldn't mean it's a fake or shoddy card. I may even agree with that however if it HADNT worked for so long in my asus.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whether or not it works/worked, used to work, in something else is not proof of conformance to specifications. Unless the SP3 is the only device (unlikely) which uses this particular microSD Card slot other devices will have the same issues with SanDisk or fake SanDisk cards. Just figuring the probability and factoring in predominance of reports related to SanDisk I'll put my money on it being a SanDisk problem. Perhaps someone at SanDisk manufacturing is taking their rejects and selling them for fun and profit.

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

To me, the very fact that it DOES indeed work, without incidence, in another device, for a prolonged period of time, is a telling sign that it may very well be a hardware issue (albeit minor) with the SP3.

kristalsoldier

To me, the very fact that it DOES indeed work, without incidence, in another device, for a prolonged period of time, is a telling sign that it may very well be a hardware issue (albeit minor) with the SP3.

You seem quite insistent to assume that it is the SP3 problem. Well, in that case, why are you arguing about it. If you are sure, then you are sure. Get something that according to just works which, in your books, is an Apple product and get the matter over with.

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

I still like my SP3, it's the best windows device I've ever owned. Just because I gripe about some issues doesn't mean Im ready to throw the towel in.

UPDATE:

The other day, I inserted one of my wifes old SanDisk SDHC 4GB micro cards into the slot. It has worked perfectly, the longest stretch ever that a card has worked in the slot.

It may very well be the 128gb card itself.

Last edited:

ptrkhh

The other day, I inserted one of my wifes old SanDisk SDHC 4GB micro cards into the slot. It has worked perfectly, the longest stretch ever that a card has worked in the slot.

It may very well be the 128gb card itself.
Have you tried it with other SP3? Yours might be defective, as one other guy said, a small tolerance mistake could be a disaster. And the mistake might as well found in your SP3

kevinlevrone

Pretty disappointing to see this flaw in the SP3. I was planning to store some rarely used virtual machine images at some point. It could be that some MicroSD cards are a bit thinner, but there should be an internal mechanism to properly push the card against contacts no matter what the thickness is. I also heard that the microSD in the SP3 does not make the usual "click" sound when pushing the card inside the slot.

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

Pretty disappointing to see this flaw in the SP3. I was planning to store some rarely used virtual machine images at some point. It could be that some MicroSD cards are a bit thinner, but there should be an internal mechanism to properly push the card against contacts no matter what the thickness is. I also heard that the microSD in the SP3 does not make the usual "click" sound when pushing the card inside the slot.
No, it slides into the slot, sans a 'click' sound.

My thoughts exactly, tho, regarding internal mechanism that would properly align/set the card, regardless of thickness.