What's new

From 4 to 7 hours

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

This is true, but like those reviewers who have been testing the ATOM based 7-8" Tablets, using them like RT give a better overall experience, the ironic part these are people who typically were very anti-RT:

• Chippy from UMPC Portal
  • Daniel Rubio from Windows Central
  • Brad Simms from Neowin
  • Tom Warren from the Verge
  • Paul Thurrott from Thurrott.com

For the record, I consider dropping WinRT a mistake. They should have kept it now that we are close to see universal applications.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you sure you had the screenshots switched positions?
No currently the SP3 report says 9 and the S2 report says 8 and the file names have S2 & sp3 in them.
Perhaps you should try some of those battery tuning tips :)

For the record I do not have Chrome or anything Google installed nor anything that starts with "i" and no Firefox either.

I will add that I use my Surfaces for light work, mostly as tablets and I have other computers I use for the heavy lifting. However, If I use my SP3 for heavier work it's likely to be docked and on Power.

Last edited:
OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

;)
The question is how many have you seen with same results. I know how to achieve them but I do not consider following the tips normal. Normal, which a relative concept too, to me is start using the PC without tweaking or caring about installing or no installing anything. After all, that's what Apple users do ;-)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
;)
The question is how many have you seen with same results. I know how to achieve them but I do not consider following the tips normal. Normal, which a relative concept too, to me is start using the PC without tweaking or caring about installing or no installing anything. After all, that's what Apple users do ;-)
Apple has a luxury that Microsoft does not, they killed off Backwards Compatibility long ago....

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
;)
Apple users are not normal in any sense. I don't really care what they do, their numbers will normalize around 10% +/- over time for what should be pretty obvious reasons.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't get the issue. Serious photoshop and lightroom work with increased screen brightness is hardly going to offer a "normal" battery experience. Car manufacturers do not quote mpg based on the driver red lining the engine from when he gets in to when he gets out of the car.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think most people understand what *UP TO* X hours means. If not they will have many disappointments in life.
The phrase "Your Mileage May Vary" came from just such a situation.

Perhaps in the future computer manufacturers will be required to quote City/Highway mileage certified by the EPA but I don't see that that has solved a darn thing in the auto industry. Your Mileage Still Varies.

TPadden

Since the discussion is about battery, the one point that makes the Surface 3 so attractive to me hasn't even been mentioned yet - it is charged and powered from a STANDARD micro port. I have many 12+watt phone-tablet chargers and several external batteries that I use to charge my phone and tablets; so the "from 4 to 7 hours" just went to "all day" without looking for a place to charge.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since the discussion is about battery, the one point that makes the Surface 3 so attractive to me hasn't even been mentioned yet - it is charged and powered from a STANDARD micro port. I have many 12+watt phone-tablet chargers and several external batteries that I use to charge my phone and tablets; so the "from 4 to 7 hours" just went to "all day" without looking for a place to charge.

Firstly, i have a battery compatible with the sp3 so i can also argue "all day"

Secondly, and to me, most importantly, sure it is a universal connection, but i've had to charge things with usb before, and it takes forever. Havn't been able to find any details on charging time etc for the surface 3, but on the pro 3, one of it's biggest strengths for me is that it takes only 2 and a half hours to charge to full. That is over an hour and a half faster than just charging my phone with micro usb.