What's new

Full Res anyone?

puma

Just curious are you using the 2160X1440? To avoid the scaling issues while docking with an external monitor and issues with programs scaling, I want to use this native res.. but I find it almost painful.
I wonder why Microsoft puts this kind of res on the screen, is it to accommodate external displays? What's everyone else experience with this?

mcsenerd

I'm utilizing the native resolution of the display and have no issues. It's one of the "slam dunks" as far as the best of what's new on the SP3 as far as I'm concerned. I find it much more enjoyable versus the resolution on the SP1/SP2.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I use the native resolution on my Surface Pro 3 and have no issue with external displays but I extend rather than mirror my desktop.

Seneleron

I wonder why Microsoft puts this kind of res on the screen, is it to accommodate external displays?

The display resolution of the screen has NOTHING to do with external monitors. The maximum resolution supported is governed 100% by the CPU. MS has nothing to do with it.

The reason for the 2160 x 1440 display is because the more densely packed and smaller the pixels, the "sharper" the image on the screen.

To avoid the scaling issues while docking with an external monitor and issues with programs scaling, I want to use this native res.. but I find it almost painful.

I use this thing with a 21:9 2560 x 1080 monitor and a 27" 2560 x 1440 monitor. I have *NEVER* experienced scaling issues. Just make sure you're not duplicating displays, and set it to default to the external monitor when it's connected. Mine always auto corrects to the right settings.

OP
P

puma

I guess where I am coming from is more where I use Outlook for example. I can barely read my email it's so freakin small. And I find myself squinting for long periods of time when using it as a laptop.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I guess where I am coming from is more where I use Outlook for example. I can barely read my email it's so freakin small. And I find myself squinting for long periods of time when using it as a laptop.

Are you using the default settings that came with the SP3 or have you adjusted or changed the DPI settings?

OP
P

puma

Are you using the default settings that came with the SP3 or have you adjusted or changed the DPI settings?
i changed them to 100%. If I'm going to use this as a full time machine I cannot use apps like Outlook looking the way they do at 150%. Icons look awful also. I guess that's just the way it is though.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I installed the 64bit version of Office 2013 and have no issues with fonts even at the default SP3 settings....

BaritoneGuy

i changed them to 100%. If I'm going to use this as a full time machine I cannot use apps like Outlook looking the way they do at 150%. Icons look awful also. I guess that's just the way it is though.

Personally I think that Outlook 2013 and the rest of the MS desktop apps look fine at 150%. Any hi DPI display will require scaling. My Lenovo Yoga pro Scales at 200%.

kristalsoldier

Well, without playing around with the settings at all, I think desktop items also look very small on the SP3 - especially in File Explorer. I wish the default font-size was maybe 1 pt higher than what it currently is.

Klownicle

Yes, I am. Always have. Always will. I'll go blind before I use scaling. I'm a perfectionist, everything must match. I don't care to run into little quirks where some applications are blurry.