What's new

get recovery key to restore System Image

surface001

I am new to Surface and new to Windows 10. I created a System Image to an external drive few days ago when I received my newly bought used Surface Pro 3. After few days play with the tablet, I want to restore the Windows 10 tablet to the state recorded by that System Image. But I was asked to "Enter the recovery key to get going again". Where can I get that key?

I thought Windows 10's backup and restore should easy and straight forward. It seems I am wrong. I used Macrium Reflect to backup/restore system image for my computers before. Can I use Reflect to handle Surface Pro 3's backup and restore?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome!

You can get your recovery key from your Microsoft account. You will see a list of devices there.

or:
Step 1
Go to Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online. and log in with the same Microsoft account credentials you use to log into your Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10 PC.

Step 2
If the PC is not your trusted PC, the page will ask you to authenticate your login by entering a pin code sent to your email or by any other way you may have set (Using Google’s Authenticator app, for example).

Step 3
After you successfully login and authenticate yourself, you will see recovery keys displayed on the screen. If you have saved BitLocker recovery key for more than one devices, you will have to identify the correct recovery key for the device you are trying to recover. It could be your internal hard drive partition for example.

By the way, lean on OneDrive for your backup needs. It is an excellent cloud solution.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am new to Surface and new to Windows 10. I created a System Image to an external drive few days ago when I received my newly bought used Surface Pro 3. After few days play with the tablet, I want to restore the Windows 10 tablet to the state recorded by that System Image. But I was asked to "Enter the recovery key to get going again". Where can I get that key?

I thought Windows 10's backup and restore should easy and straight forward. It seems I am wrong. I used Macrium Reflect to backup/restore system image for my computers before. Can I use Reflect to handle Surface Pro 3's backup and restore?
Yep, I've used it many times on SP3 and other Surface devices.
Be sure to include the encryption support when you make your recovery drive.