What's new

Glitchy after last update

rennwerkes

Hi everyone,
Thought I'd never worry about my Surface Pro 4 but after the last major update I have a few problems and was wondering if anyone here had any idea on how to fix.
1. Once in a while my Surface doesn't turn on. Maybe once every 20-30 turn ons. I then hold the power button and the volume up button and restart there. Kinda irritating.
2. Quite often while watching YouTube video's don't start up.
3. Even during normal boot up the Surface seems just a bit slower than what it used to be.
What's more interesting is I have an identical Surface Pro 4 at a different location that I use once in a while and it works perfectly fine. No problems after that update.
Any idea's?
Thanks!

OP
R

rennwerkes

I think it's the most current version but not entirely sure how to check.
I just did all major updates about a month ago.
Thanks

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@renwerkes:

The current version of Windows 10 is 1809, so you need to update.
Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update

OP
R

rennwerkes

Shucks, I thought I was all caught up.
I'll give it a try and reply back.
But could running the current version cause the glitches I'm having?
Thanks again!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
By having firmware and accessory software updated, but not Windows itself, you could indeed have glitches.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am running Windows 1903 and much to my pleasant surprise, both my Surface Book 2 and Surface Pro 4 are running noticeably faster and seemingly more stable. This combined with many visual (GUI) upgrades - means good things are headed to Windows Pro users.

rennwerkes - Have you uninstalled/re-installed the Surface Drivers? ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023482/surface-download-drivers-and-firmware-for-surface )

While doing the above mentioned action is sometimes a pain and slightly time consuming, often after a major update, its a good idea to remove/re-install the drivers that keep the Surface Pro lineup, running like a champ.

. Capture.PNG

OP
R

rennwerkes

Thanks for the info.
I haven't had a chance to update yet but will probably get to it by this weekend.
Will update this thread when I do.
I'll also do the driver updates also.
Thanks again

OP
R

rennwerkes

Updated to 1809 and still exhibits the same problems.
When on Youtube periodically refuses to play videos. Then when Surface is shut down doesn't want to turn back on.
Have to hold the power and up volume button. Then exit for a restart.
Aargh!