What's new

Hack to improve YouTube buffering.

mitchellvii

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2013
Messages
2,483
Points
113
Location
Charlotte, NC
My Device
SPro3
One of the things that can slow down YouTube buffering is throttling placed on cached video from your ISP. You request a YouTube, your ISP caches it then sends it to you, throttled to cut down on bandwidth. This can result is laggy YouTube viewing with slow buffering.

This is a hack which tells your computer to download the video directly from YouTube and bypass your ISP caching completely. It has made a DRAMATIC difference in performance and buffering for me. Before employing this, my buffering would run maybe 1/16th of an inch ahead of the video play if at all. After this, buffering runs a good half inch or more ahead of the play - awesome.

Anyway, this is a hack which involves your firewall so use at your own risk. I have not personally run into any issues:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/tired-of-buffering-3-ways-to-speed-up-youtube/
  • Click Start, type cmd, right click on the icon and Run as Administrator to open the command prompt.
  • If you see a UAC prompt, click Yes.
  • Copy this command: netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name=”YoutubeBufferTrick” dir=in action=block remoteip=173.194.55.0/24,206.111.0.0/16 enable=yes
  • Right click in the command prompt and select Paste.
  • Hit Enter.
If you ever want to remove this alteration from your network, do the same thing except use this command instead:
  • netsh advfirewall firewall delete rule name=”YoutubeBufferTrick”
Since this trick blocks a wide range of IP addresses, you may run into a site every once in a while that’s blocked by this trick. Use at your own discretion!

Here is a screenshot of the buffering for a YouTube running at 1080p. Notice the buffering:

YouTube%20Buffering%20Sample.png
 
Last edited:
I use google DNS, I set it at router so all devices benefit from it. I used openDNS before and found Google DNS is faster at my region.
 
I use google DNS, I set it at router so all devices benefit from it. I used openDNS before and found Google DNS is faster at my region.

Google DNS is completely different than this. That is merely a faster nameserver. Google DNS will not improve YouTube buffering performance.
 
Good to keep in mind. although not sure if it's my ISP, or country, but i have never had buffer issues, videos will normally be fully buffered by the time i'm a quarter of the way through watching.
 
Good to keep in mind. although not sure if it's my ISP, or country, but i have never had buffer issues, videos will normally be fully buffered by the time i'm a quarter of the way through watching.

Yes it's probably your ISP. I use Time Warner Cable and pretty sure they throttle.
 
Yes it's probably your ISP. I use Time Warner Cable and pretty sure they throttle.

Why I'm also thinking country. Throttling seems to be a much bigger issue in the USA than here. Or at least that's been my experience. But all good things come to and end once they work out a way to make you pay a premium for the same product, so i'll be bookmarking this for the day it inevitably happens.
 
Back
Top