What's new

Hey Y'all!

Brett Trommler

I am tossing around the idea of switching over to a Surface tablet; not sure which one yet. I am and always have been an Android guy and my current tablet is a Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1. I like it well enough but it is just a bit limited for me. I guess I'm looking for a mid sized tablet that will function like a small laptop. Since I am familiar with Win8.1 the Surface tablets seemed the logical choice. So I have a few questions about the Surface if I may...
- I am wanting a device I can use for internet, media (movies, videos, audio) and some gaming. I am guessing a Surface 2 or 3 can do that...?
- I like the 10" size; the 12" would be just a bit too big for my needs. I guess that limits me to a Surface 2...?
- Is the Surface wi-fi only or is there an 4G/LTE version also? My Tab Pro is wi-fi only but I really wish I had gotten the 4G option as well.
- Do the Surfaces devices have a standard USB port? If so, will they accept most any peripheral device like a mouse, keyboard or joystick?
- I have heard there aren't many apps available for the Surface. Can standard Windows 8.1 type software be installed on the Surface or does it have to be specific apps for that platform?

Thanks in advance.

kundas1

Welcome aboard Brett, but Not to be a prude, but all these questions can be answered if you had done a little search or even watched a few hundred video's they have on Youtube that tells you everything you need to know about the SP2/3 yes we are here to assist but with more serious help and questions... we have so many people posting questions on what device is best for them that it gets redundant, also we couldn't fathom your use scenario because each person is different... I suggest go watching some vids on youtube as there is a PLETHORA of info on there. ;)

Lobo

@Brett Trommler if you'd like to run standard Windows applications, any of the Pro models (non-RT) will serve you well. This includes connecting standard peripherals. Light gaming is doable, just don't expect to run the newest games in the native resolution. Especially games from the Windows Store run fine. Please also note that the higher model CPUs also feature better GPUs.

Unfortunately, there's no cellular option available at this point in time. Most smartphones support tethering these days though, so that might not be much of a problem. The full-size USB port will also allow you to use a USB modem if that's something you'd consider.

malberttoo

I am tossing around the idea of switching over to a Surface tablet; not sure which one yet. I am and always have been an Android guy and my current tablet is a Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1. I like it well enough but it is just a bit limited for me. I guess I'm looking for a mid sized tablet that will function like a small laptop. Since I am familiar with Win8.1 the Surface tablets seemed the logical choice. So I have a few questions about the Surface if I may...
- I am wanting a device I can use for internet, media (movies, videos, audio) and some gaming. I am guessing a Surface 2 or 3 can do that...?
- I like the 10" size; the 12" would be just a bit too big for my needs. I guess that limits me to a Surface 2...?
- Is the Surface wi-fi only or is there an 4G/LTE version also? My Tab Pro is wi-fi only but I really wish I had gotten the 4G option as well.
- Do the Surfaces devices have a standard USB port? If so, will they accept most any peripheral device like a mouse, keyboard or joystick?
- I have heard there aren't many apps available for the Surface. Can standard Windows 8.1 type software be installed on the Surface or does it have to be specific apps for that platform?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum!

You kept saying "Surface" but you need to be aware that there is a difference between Surface and Surface Pro. Surface runs Windows RT, and is strictly limited to what's available in the Windows App store. Surface Pro runs regular Windows 8, and any of the normal/usual desktop applications can be installed on it. Answers to your questions-

1. Yes
  2. Surface 2 or Surface Pro 2, yes. But you should hold each of them first. The 2's are kind of chunky. The Pro 3 is overall bigger, but I like the form factor better than the 2's.
  3. WiFi. Microsoft has said that tethering has become too prevalent for them to be able to do a 4G version economically.
  4. Surface Pro 3 USB 3 port, 2's are USB 2. On the Pro's yes, anything that that works on a normal PC. Not sure about the RT Surfaces.
  5. Apps are a mixed bag right now. Any regular software can be installed the same as on a regular PC.

Hope it helps.