What's new

How do I enable touch/gestues for Google Chrome

motobojo

How do I enable touch/gestures with Google Chrome?

A fresh Google Chrome install is totally ignorant of touch/gestures.

I tried installing chromeTouch, but it didn't seem to cut it as it only enabled the most basic touch operations.

According to chrome I have the latest version (25.0.1364172.m).

thanks for any help.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Welcome motobojo. Contact Google. Until they decide to get serious about Chrome supporting touch what you see is what you get ;)

JP

sbhatia

I was extremely excited to find a solution for enabling touch on Chrome - I'm really frustrated with IE and the lack of attention in Microsoft products/services.

Here are the quick steps to enable touch on Google Chrome:
1. From Google Chrome, type chrome://flags in the address bar, then press Enter.
2. Scroll down to the "Touch Optimized UI" setting.
3. Select the drop-down menu and select Enabled.
4. Same goes for "Enable Touch Events"
5. Select the drop-down menu and select Enabled.
6. Find "Disable touch adjustment"
7. Click "Enable" link
8. Restart and enjoy Chrome!

How do I enable touch/gestures with Google Chrome?

A fresh Google Chrome install is totally ignorant of touch/gestures.

I tried installing chromeTouch, but it didn't seem to cut it as it only enabled the most basic touch operations.

According to chrome I have the latest version (25.0.1364172.m).

thanks for any help.

mitchellvii

I actually like IE 10 quite a bit in the Modern UI setting except for the complete lack of bookmark support. I guess MS focus tested it and found out no one uses bookmarks? Dunno. Anyway, if they can get some better bookmark support (folders etc) in IE 11 the Modern UI browser will be my goto. Super smooth touch experience.

Will have to give Chrome a try. Funny that they call it "Chrome Touch" then bury the controls which turn on touch in //flags.

Looking forward to when Firefox figures out how to make touch work properly. On the Windows platform MS is miles ahead of anyone else on this. If they can get IE 11 right they could move back into dominance of the browser market.

Last edited:

Dolly16v

I was extremely excited to find a solution for enabling touch on Chrome - I'm really frustrated with IE and the lack of attention in Microsoft products/services.

Here are the quick steps to enable touch on Google Chrome:
1. From Google Chrome, type chrome://flags in the address bar, then press Enter.
2. Scroll down to the "Touch Optimized UI" setting.
3. Select the drop-down menu and select Enabled.
4. Same goes for "Enable Touch Events"
5. Select the drop-down menu and select Enabled.
6. Find "Disable touch adjustment"
7. Click "Enable" link
8. Restart and enjoy Chrome!
Thanks sbhatia. Not sure that I understand your instructions. If I type that into the only place I can type anything on Chrome, I just get a search result and then I'm unsure where to go after that. I admit I am not really that good at all this. I don't for example find Apple "intuitive"!!

chrisd2020

mitchellvii, the star button on the right of the address bar will give you favourites in IE metro, you can use the star with a plus button to add the current page as a favourite :)