What's new

Really annoying Google Search behavior with Internet Explorer

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have almost zero issues using Chrome, and I am a heavy Google user. If I had to switch to IE in the interest of having a better experience on my SP3, I would do it without hesitation, except that I really like the instant bookmark syncing that Chrome does across multiple browsers. I use a work machine daily, as well as my SP3. I don't believe I can get IE to sync bookmarks for me, since I'm signed into a domain account on my work machine and a Microsoft account on my SP3.

I do really like the approach that Microsoft takes with syncing your settings to OneDrive, but I don't like that it seems to be (I'm still figuring some of it out) an all-or-nothing approach. I would love to have the ability to sign into only IE as a certain user (like I can with Chrome), regardless of how I am signed into the PC.

Definitely not saying Chrome is better than IE or anything like that. I don't believe that.

If you domain machine is running Windows 8.x then you can associate your MS Account with your domain account...

Seneleron

Ahhh, I guess it doesn't matter the brand, Apple or MS. . there are those that just MUST ingest the kool-aid. FWIW, Google is an amazing company with amazing products and services. They don't do any more or less with your information, they're just more transparent about it.

That said, I don't have issues with google search via IE, and Chrome *HAS* fallen into a state of disuse on my SP3 [I just can't get the scaling where I want it].

Worst case scenario, you can try to install the next IE beta and see if that helps.

Google is going out of its way to harm anyone's experience who wants to use MS Technology to access Google Services, they have a Trojan called Chrome that would prefer you use as their goal is to usurp the Windows OS as they turn on more features within Chrome for their App Suite you will feel compelled to use their browser, eventually you will find yourself using a Chromebook even though you bought a premium Windows Tablet.

I don't know what you're smokin', but *PLEASE* pass it around! I'll pass over your hatred of chrome. I'll ignore your hatred and your contempt, but It surprises me how low an opinion you have of WINDOWS! I mean, if you think Chrome could EVER hold a candle. . . . . Like I said, pass that stuff, will ya?

What really makes me giggle is that, in the next year or two, when MS FINALLY gives up and the modern UI is merged with the Google play store [native android support on modern UI. . . .Just the thought of your head exploding with the apoplectic rage. . . . :D

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
No smokin' involved, Google has stated publically that the will not support Windows 8.x or Windows Phone 8.x and have after agreeing to allowing MS to build analogs for Windows Phone, Google sent a C&D Letter.

Google has stated their strategy with Chrome on Windows is to replace the underlying OS experience so that the user gets the Chrome Experience.

I have a very high opinion on Windows, I have made my career integrating and training others to integrate their solutions in Windows Environments. I also was hired by Microsoft (on contract) to work with their top customers on integrating Windows into their Linux and Unix Environments integrating BIND, NIS and NFS and getting them to move to Services for Unix instead of using SAMBA.

I really don't see MS moving to Android Apps on Windows or Windows Phone, I see many in the press hoping that they do that. I see them tweaking WinRT for desktop-centric users but WinRT is their future App Model as Win32 doesn't have a way forward unless they abandon backwards compatibility.

My distrust of Google is based on my experience as one on their users and as one of their customers, they are a Human Marketing Company and all of their products and services are designed around extracting more information about you.

Microsoft's strategy is to get their productivity and cloud suite on all platforms.

OP
L

laestrella

I have almost zero issues using Chrome, and I am a heavy Google user. If I had to switch to IE in the interest of having a better experience on my SP3, I would do it without hesitation, except that I really like the instant bookmark syncing that Chrome does across multiple browsers. I use a work machine daily, as well as my SP3. I don't believe I can get IE to sync bookmarks for me, since I'm signed into a domain account on my work machine and a Microsoft account on my SP3.

I do really like the approach that Microsoft takes with syncing your settings to OneDrive, but I don't like that it seems to be (I'm still figuring some of it out) an all-or-nothing approach. I would love to have the ability to sign into only IE as a certain user (like I can with Chrome), regardless of how I am signed into the PC.

Definitely not saying Chrome is better than IE or anything like that. I don't believe that.

What chrome channel are you using? Beta and Development have given me issues. Don't think I even tried stable.

malberttoo

They are a Human Marketing Company and all of their products and services are designed around extracting more information about you.

This I completely agree with. Whoever came up with "don't be evil" for their company, that's the biggest smokescreen of all. BUT I need a search engine to do my work. I never gave Bing much of a thought, because it wasn't very good when it first came out. Maybe I should revisit it. I would however be plugging in the exact same info, whether it be Bing or Google.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
This I completely agree with. Whoever came up with "don't be evil" for their company, that's the biggest smokescreen of all. BUT I need a search engine to do my work. I never gave Bing much of a thought, because it wasn't very good when it first came out. Maybe I should revisit it. I would however be plugging in the exact same info, whether it be Bing or Google.

The difference for me is Microsoft is explicit on their Privacy Policy and Google until called out is much more evasive on what they do with the data they collect. I haven't used Google has my default search engine since 2009....

Also when Microsoft makes public declarations like this it does my heart good (KT at the WPC keynote yesterday):

ms cloud secuity pledge.png

malberttoo

The difference for me is Microsoft is explicit on their Privacy Policy and Google until called out is much more evasive on what they do with the data they collect. I haven't used Google has my default search engine since 2009....

Also when Microsoft makes public declarations like this it does my heart good (KT at the WPC keynote yesterday):

View attachment 2588

Thanks, you've given me something to think about!

Ms.Dos

...I really like the instant bookmark syncing that Chrome does across multiple browsers. I use a work machine daily, as well as my SP3. I don't believe I can get IE to sync bookmarks for me, since I'm signed into a domain account on my work machine and a Microsoft account on my SP3...

I use XMarks. It syncs bookmarks across all browsers on all platforms. The paid version will also sync to your mobile devices. It makes a nice pairing with it's partner product, the password manager LastPass.

malberttoo

I use XMarks. It syncs bookmarks across all browsers on all platforms. The paid version will also sync to your mobile devices. It makes a nice pairing with it's partner product, the password manager LastPass.

Thanks! I will check it out!

DanL

Just what I've been looking for. I will definitely try it out. Thanks!

DanL

Definitely an interesting thread. We have this debate at work occasionally and I have joked around about a date sometime in the future that Google turns evil, as in "SkyNet" from the old Terminator movies LOL. :D