What's new

How I Pack My Junk

B

B'midbar

Those Grid-Its are awesome, I have been using one for a couple years, as well as one of their small electronics pouch/cases.

Yep, received my Grid-It yesterday and was more jazzed about its arrival than that of the wireless adapter for the type cover. Will be testing the latter today and tomorrow to see how much time I get out of a full charge.

B

B'midbar

When on travels, or even when just taking my Mac or my Surface to my workplace, I used to put my accessories like power adapters, cables, a mouse, and the like in one of the pockets of my computer bag. But these accessories sometimes jumble around, get tangled up, can bind against sensitive screens, make the bag too fat in the wrong places, and even cause me to drop an object on the floor and risk losing it while I fish around for the right accessory.

Until several months ago, I used freezer food bags to organize these things. Worked okay, but did not stop the jumbling around, etc.

Here's the solution I started using several months ago: The Cocoon GRID-IT, size medium. For $25 I use this clever elastic band mesh to store all my accessories on a single pull-out item, keep them flat, and even at a glance, take inventory, so I don't leave an item in a hotel room or in my office. Also helps me make sure I have everything before departing on a trip. Got everything here, including GPS (upper-left), mouse (center), multi-card reader (upper-right), VGA adapter (bottom-left), and the Wireless Keyboard Adapter (bottom). Smaller footprint than the keyboard.

I have bag and GRID-IT Mac, and one for my Surface.

The link above is from the (gasp!) AppleStore, but it is available from Amazon here.

View attachment 2819

View attachment 2820

View attachment 2821

My first attempt. I'm sure I'll continue goofing with it as I have six itineraries in the next two weeks alone.
20141203_132100[1].jpg

silkrooster

Looks like a good idea. It certainly would fit in the new bag I got for Christmas. Never have enough storage. Nice thing about this, as I could see it making it easier when going through security at an airport.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I'm on holiday right now, and leaving in a couple more days. I have peace of mind that re-packing my Surface Pro 3 bag will be easy, and I won't leave components behind.

bluegrass

Thanks Colorado. You know I'm going to be doing a lot of traveling. I just ordered one from Amazon for $15. I have a feeling I'll be ordering more.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I still pack this way. None of the elastic straps has broken or torn, despite heavy and overly extended use by me.

Just quietly, get to know someone who is more than competent with a sewing machine. For the $25 outlay of one, you can buy the necessary material to make 4-5, and you can get one custom made. They can also be used for any number of different reasons. I have one for all my computer related peripherals, one for the kitchen to hold the bills, and my wife has one for all her readily used craft utensils. All three cost less than $25.

Jay Marino

I used the Wireless Display Adapter to watch Hulu and Netflix content in a hotel room last week....
Do you ever have issues with the audio being off from the video. Mine never syncs properly. The audio is always like 3 seconds behind which is very annoying.