What's new

My type cover wakes up SP3 when closed. Why?

JH99

My SP3 wakes when I touch or click the pad.
I had trouble with my SP3 randomly waking and it was my Bluetooth mouse that was on.
I don't have any random wake issues now.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can think of no reason why a computer would take a bunch of photos on wake other than if anti-theft software was installed. If you're so sure its nothing software related based on your usage, then I'd be straight on the phone to Microsoft.

Maybe the NSA intercepted the parcel and filled it with witchcraft :)

OP
B

bryanhayn

Thanks for trying, but that didn't work. Tried it many times already. I unchecked "allow this device to wake computer" in both Surface Type Cover Filter Device and HID-compliant mouse and the problem is still there.

I also tried both refreshing my SP3 and completely restoring it and it still wakes up and randomly takes pictures. I'm going to take it back to the Microsoft Store tomorrow.

OP
B

bryanhayn

You're putting it sleep by pressing the power button?

Also, you can upload the sleep study HTML file here, or post a OneDrive or DropBox link to it. That way some of these guys can have a look at it.

No, I'm sleeping it by swiping from the right and selecting settings->power.

I did a complete restore about 3 hours ago and just woke my SP3 from sleep. I tried running a sleep study but this happened:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg sleepstudy
No connected standby traces available. Report not generated.

gtext

Thanks for trying, but that didn't work. Tried it many times already. I unchecked "allow this device to wake computer" in both Surface Type Cover Filter Device and HID-compliant mouse and the problem is still there.

I also tried both refreshing my SP3 and completely restoring it and it still wakes up and randomly takes pictures. I'm going to take it back to the Microsoft Store tomorrow.

Yes sounds like a hardware to me. Best thing is to exchange.

Let us know how it goes.

OP
B

bryanhayn

are u a school teacher???

No I'm not.

UPDATE: I took my SP3 back to the Microsoft Store this past Wednesday (8/27) and left it with them for analysis. I called today (8/31) for an update and they said they were having trouble duplicating the problem - sometimes they could, other times they couldn't, so they authorized me to receive a replacement...I have an appointment later today. Yay :) I want to upgrade to an 8GB, 256GB, i5...anyone know if they'll let me?

FlySwatter

No I'm not.

UPDATE: I took my SP3 back to the Microsoft Store this past Wednesday (8/27) and left it with them for analysis. I called today (8/31) for an update and they said they were having trouble duplicating the problem - sometimes they could, other times they couldn't, so they authorized me to receive a replacement...I have an appointment later today. Yay :) I want to upgrade to an 8GB, 256GB, i5...anyone know if they'll let me?
Good news! Hopefully, they will be agreeable to let you upgrade for the difference in price. It certainly wouldn't seem to be any harm to them.

palmor

At least four times in the past couple of days my SP3 randomly woke up from sleep with the type cover closed while plugged in sitting on my desk. Does this happen to anyone else? To be certain it wasn't my fault, I slept the SP3 and waited a full minute to make sure it was sleeping, then closed the type cover, then left for lunch and returned 2 hours later to find my SP3 had woke up on its own. Also, when it wakes it randomly takes a bunch of front camera pictures. The longer it sits the more pictures it takes.
Another thing I noticed...if I sleep my SP3 and leave the type cover open it will wake up when I touch the trackpad. Notice I said touch not click. Is this normal? Maybe my screen is somehow registering trackpad touches and waking it?

I'd find mine awake with the camera on but not taking photos. I turned off the "swipe down to activate camera" and it hasn't happened again.

I know I'm late to the thread and you have a replacement coming but in case it happens again that is how I seemed to solve it.

John

OP
B

bryanhayn

I'd find mine awake with the camera on but not taking photos. I turned off the "swipe down to activate camera" and it hasn't happened again.

I know I'm late to the thread and you have a replacement coming but in case it happens again that is how I seemed to solve it.

John

That was one of the first things I did. It fixed the picture taking problem, but not the waking up problem.