What's new

How well does Unity work?

Codevine

Hey guys,

is anyone of you using Unity on your Surface Pro? I've heard it doesn't work very well, meaning that the pen doesn't work (at all?) and touch barely works (whatever that means). Would be nice to get some feedback and how well the application scales. Still 1 week till the Surface Pro is released here and it'd be kinda weird to buy it, then find out that Unity doesn't work that well.

Thanks!

D

dvdcatalyst

Hey guys,

is anyone of you using Unity on your Surface Pro? I've heard it doesn't work very well, meaning that the pen doesn't work (at all?) and touch barely works (whatever that means). Would be nice to get some feedback and how well the application scales. Still 1 week till the Surface Pro is released here and it'd be kinda weird to buy it, then find out that Unity doesn't work that well.

Thanks!

Unity (3.5.7f6) itself works perfectly, but I don't use the touch or pen stuff with it. I use a wireless trackball (logitech) in order to get around.

samosurface

Hey guys,

Thanks!

Hi i've posted on unity forum, i've dowloaded yesterday the free unity 4.2 and installed it on my surface pro 64 Gb with windows 8 all updated and Visual studio express... when i launch unity i can t access the menu with touch or pen... i've try with the -forec-d3d11 but still not working even when i try to change the windo size it's just crashed unity mean freeze it... so i cant wait to get an update for unity 4.2 to work on my surface pro....

samosurface

Hi i've posted on unity forum, i've dowloaded yesterday the free unity 4.2 and installed it on my surface pro 64 Gb with windows 8 all updated and Visual studio express... when i launch unity i can t access the menu with touch or pen... i've try with the -forec-d3d11 but still not working even when i try to change the windo size it's just crashed unity mean freeze it... so i cant wait to get an update for unity 4.2 to work on my surface pro....

ok i found my answer... the pen is not acting like a mouse and the touch is not working in the editor of 4.2 right now... i'm sure they will fixe it soon...
so if you got a mouse its work on surface pro

OP
C

Codevine

ok i found my answer... the pen is not acting like a mouse and the touch is not working in the editor of 4.2 right now... i'm sure they will fixe it soon...
so if you got a mouse its work on surface pro
If you double-tap (touch) the menu items, they will work, too. Haven't tried it with the pen, yet. Other than that, Unity 4.2 works splendid, though.