What's new

I love sitting next to folks with iPads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best device is the one you use.

iPad and Surface Pro 2 are both good. The "One size fits all" approach to devices will not work. That's why we have more than one vehicle model on the road, for example, and more than one style of shoes in our closets.

Sometimes I prefer iPad. Sometimes Surface Pro 2. Sometimes Kindle PaperWhite.

I am sorry but I feel stupid when I'm at the security checkpoint and my bag contains a tablet, laptop, and Kindle (actually Nook for me) and chargers for all 3 devices + phone/PDA. Extra annoyance if security guys ask me to put them on different trays (for some reason tends to happen more often when there is a shitload of people waiting in line behind you and/or I'm specially tired after 48h of nosleep)

Preventing that was half the reason alone I bought the SFPro2. The SFPro is around 1.8x times the weight of my previous tablet, I can handle it just fine; it has easily replaced _all_ the usecases I used my tablet for.
It is also more CPU performing than the laptop it replaced. And it's not locked at all, I could install GNU/Linux without much difficulty (unlike most other tablets, including MS's own SurfaceRT).

I'm in love.

Last edited:
OP
F

fonzman78

It's a cool story but it just sounds like you made a competition in your head you knew you'd win.
He was watching a movie on his ipad while you had the need to brag about your pc.
That's just how it sounded like to me, no hate.

No hate taken. You're right. I did indeed begin a competition that I knew I'd win. However, I didn't feel the need to brag about it. I didn't have to say anything at all. Rather, I just let my Surface do all the work. If he opted to not say a single thing to me then so be it. But he initiated the conversations and he was curious on how/why I could do all the things he was seeing. So I don't feel that I forced myself on him. Rather, I just let the Surface do its' thing.

Since owning my Surface Pro 1/2, I have converted many iPad/Mac users by simply walking into meetings and doing my 'Surface' thing. No need to say anything but just wait for the questions to come. Once they see the keyboard snap off, dual apps on the screen, small form factor, and writing with the pen, the questions just start pouring out.

OP
F

fonzman78

Doing my 'Surface' thing. Lots of big laptops. Dell and Mac. Surface Pro flat, slim, pen out for writing notes.

The questions just come naturally. No need to brag or push.

Surface Pro in a meeting.jpg

TunaSurface

I've had so much bad experiences with tablets that even though I know the surface is fantastic, looking at that picture makes
me feel like that ''tablet'' on the table is an absolute toy.
I wish someday I can shake that feeling away.

jefhart

I also love that while all the laptop yusers have to put away their devices on landing and takeoff, I just flip around the SUrface keyboard and use it in tablet mode for a bit as the flight attendants stroll by. Then flip back to whatever I was doing.

Aren't all electronics supposed to be off? I don't understand how you can use a tablet but not a laptop.

Dayton

I picked up a white Touch Cover, wanted the extra mobility and since I usually only do light typing it would do the job. Anyway, when I brought it into work the Apple users took notice, "that's so cool". I was thinking, I've brought my SP2 with my purple Type 2 plenty of times, is it because it's white?

Dim-Ize

I do indeed love, love, love my SP2.

Imagine, though, how cool it WILL be when the SP3 or SP4 has the same weight, thickness, battery life, as the Surface 2, and still maintains its incredible performance.

Last night I was using it in bed as a tablet only. It does get heavy after a while, IMO.

Last edited:

Dim-Ize

Aren't all electronics supposed to be off? I don't understand how you can use a tablet but not a laptop.

It depends on the airline actually. Some airlines still require ALL electronics to be powered off, including MP3, etc.

Others allow tablets, MP3, and cell phone (in Airplane Mode) to be on during takeoff and landing.

OP
F

fonzman78

I've had so much bad experiences with tablets that even though I know the surface is fantastic, looking at that picture makes
me feel like that ''tablet'' on the table is an absolute toy.
I wish someday I can shake that feeling away.

Doing my 'Surface' thing, take 2.

LOL! A toy? You are right again. It is a toy when I need it to be. I use my Surface as a toy when watching movies, playing games, surfing internet. But here is another pic with keyboard on and now in PC mode for you old dogs (new dog?) from another old dog.

The questions/comments just come naturally.

Surface Pro in a meeting 2.jpg

oion

While the OP story is great, it's just not fair to compare a Pro line to the iPad.

Surface RT/2 vs. iPad is far more interesting because they're in the same "family."

davieboy

While the OP story is great, it's just not fair to compare a Pro line to the iPad.

Surface RT/2 vs. iPad is far more interesting because they're in the same "family."

I agree totally....I was totally shocked after purchasing my pro 2 when I discovered that it does not support connected standby. Immediately in 1 moment the surface pro 2 was no longer a true tablet device but 100% a laptop masquerading as a tablet. For some it might be a small thing but in reality that is where ipad, surface 2, android absolutely kick the ass of the surface pro 2. You can put nearly all true tablets/phones/mobile devices in the market today to standby and get your email notifications etc on the go while listening to music as an example without suffering excessive battery drain.

I was soo very disappointed that I cannot use my tablet as a device to handle notifications in standby mode while I watch tv at home or in any situation where you are not sitting with the device connected to power plug. This issue effectively forces you to have phone or any mobile device within reach or ear shot all the time. I believe many have not picked up in this yet but in reality i do not know any people who enjoy taking audible notifications for email etc on their android and when they have a super do it all monster tablet sitting next to them. Microsoft completely and totally messed up on this!

Has anyone tried to listen to music with a touchcover 2 with the tablet in a small shoulder bag while travelling on the train? Again horrible experience screen on while in the bag, this then messes with sleep when you want to close the cover in office situation. Finally sorry if i went off the rails on this thread but i started writing and couldn't stop. I do love my surface pro 2 for everything else. (Even though i have just sent my 8gb 256gb for replacement)

Status
Not open for further replies.