What's new

I screwed myself today. (fresh buy+broken screen)

raqball

Holy cow this is horrible!

OP, I would go back to Best Buy 1st and explain what happened to a manager. If there is nothing Best Buy can do then I would call Microsoft. With Microsoft keep working your way up the ladder. rep --) supervisor --) manager --) CEO office until you get a satisfactory answer / option.

Insurance fraud, in my opinion, is not the best option.

I would assume / hope that at some point, Microsoft will take care of you..

mitchellvii

I would take it immediately back to Best Buy and say it came out of the box like this and show them the broken Surface. I bet they exchange it no questions asked.

Yeah they will probably take it back. Here's a tip. Go to a Geek Squad person and get them to approve the exchange. They are usually a soft touch and hate the corporate BestBuy "rules".

OP
A

a kim

thanks everyone, I will give bb a shot on the replacement, if not I try the microsoft. I am happy that you all have given me some hope, wish me luck

Kif

thanks everyone, I will give bb a shot on the replacement, if not I try the microsoft. I am happy that you all have given me some hope, wish me luck

Best of luck! Be very polite but assertive. Keep your story short and simple. I've worked retail and sometimes people would talk themselves out of a return.

Worse comes to worse take it to a MS store in the box and say there's a serious issue with it. When they ask to look at it fumble the exchange and let it drop on the floor. :)

dleuen

Worse comes to worse take it to a MS store in the box and say there's a serious issue with it. When they ask to look at it fumble the exchange and let it drop on the floor. :)

Ha! Good one. That's wins for best idea yet.

malberttoo

Ok I've been doing a bunch of Googling and reading, and even a support chat. I'm an IT guy, and the I in IT stands for information, and I have to have the info!!:cool:

Anyways for the record I withdraw my implied recommendation to buy Complete and get the SP3 replaced after the fact.

Unlike the Standard SP3 warranty, there is no documentation that I could find on Complete, nor could Microsoft provide me with any. I did find one place where Microsoft specifically says that it will only honor Complete claims on SP3's that were bought from a MS Store, or through their site. Yet, the Surface rep that I talked to had no idea bout that, nor could explain that policy when we know that tons of people buy their SP3's at Best Buy, and then buy Complete online after the fact.

With a 45-day purchase window, and what could happen in 44 days... but I digress.

She did say that there were "options" for the new SP3 owner with a damaged SP3 without Complete, if they contacted the Surface Team.

So to @a kim, my recommendation is to do what GreyFox7, Mitch, Kif, and the rest already said. Take it to BB, plead your case, if no dice there then work on your teary-eyed appearance and go to Microsoft.

raqball

I purchased my Pro 3 at Best Buy and then purchased the Complete coverage via the MS website. The coverage did not show up when checking my warranty info so I called MS and they worked their magic and applied the Complete coverage to my registered Pro 3.

Now when I check my warranty status it shows the Complete coverage.

OP
A

a kim

Update: went to best buy and I told them the truth. Nope they said they can't help. I will give microsoft complete a try now.

TeknoBlast

Yeah, the tablet is not secure at all in the box. I was excited when I got mine and I opened it while sitting on my car. As with the OP, mine also just fell out as I pulled the box apart. Didn't realize the pen fell out too. Glad I was inside the car where it was safe since everything just fell on seat or floor board.