What's new

I screwed myself today. (fresh buy+broken screen)

Steve38

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to also comment. DO NOT PHONE MICROSOFT SUPPORT AT ALL if you accidently break your screen, if you can still purchase the full extended warranty coverage that includes accidental coverage within 45 days of your original purchase!!!

I recently had a Surface Pro 3 bought for me, and within 5 days of having it, it dropped from a couch on to the floor, and the screen shattered. I phoned Microsoft support as I was not sure about my warranty, because it was a gift. Due to the fact that I told them about the cracked screen this made me ineligible to purchase the extended warranty even though I fall well before the 45 days. So essentially being honest does not pay off here.

They will mark your file and the extended warranty will not help you because you reported it broken before you purchased the extended warranty. I know this may be common sense not to phone, but I had the same thing happen to me with an Apple Ipad Air, and they told me to actually purchase the coverage over the phone.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to also comment. DO NOT PHONE MICROSOFT SUPPORT AT ALL if you accidently break your screen, if you can still purchase the full extended warranty coverage that includes accidental coverage within 45 days of your original purchase!!!

I recently had a Surface Pro 3 bought for me, and within 5 days of having it, it dropped from a couch on to the floor, and the screen shattered. I phoned Microsoft support as I was not sure about my warranty, because it was a gift. Due to the fact that I told them about the cracked screen this made me ineligible to purchase the extended warranty even though I fall well before the 45 days. So essentially being honest does not pay off here.

They will mark your file and the extended warranty will not help you because you reported it broken before you purchased the extended warranty. I know this may be common sense not to phone, but I had the same thing happen to me with an Apple Ipad Air, and they told me to actually purchase the coverage over the phone.
Like anything else it probably depends on who you talk to but your point is well taken, better safe than sorry. You cannot buy car insurance after getting in an accident either, that's the norm. Allowing purchase up to 45 days after ownership without any conditions is a nice benefit unfortunately you got nabbed by a stickler but they were just doing their job.