What's new

i5 & i7 surface 3 , also new surface 3

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you using Photoshop? Just an fyi, but the Windows version of PS was not built for this high ppi screen, so the UI will give you a migraine. This is is a problem with a lot of legacy apps. I haven't tried CC yet, but every version prior is the same result. Bumping the resolution down to ~1600x1050 makes it bearable.
I do use Photoshop CC a bit, but mostly I work in Lightroom. I'm looking forward to trying the new touch interface for PS when it's released. I'm wondering how lightroom will look, they already do a Lightroom Mobile version for ipads, I've been told they're working on an Android version and so I'm guessing one for the surface might not be too bad.

I'm optimistic, I realise that I may have some teething troubles as it's a very new device, a new use for this type of software etc but this is the very reason I ordered the surface and hopefully things will improve over time... I'm not normally an early adopter but there isn't anything out there that captured my imagination like the surface pro 3. I did like the Surface pro 2, but with the extra screen real-estate it makes much more sense for me ont he 3 and will hopefully replace my aging laptop and enable me to work in ways I never thought possible before.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your use case sounds like a reasonable one for the i7 but could I ask what you are using now CPU & GPU wise? for a little performance comparison of components from benchmarking sites
I'm currently using a desktop PC homebuild which I built in Sept 2012. It has an i5 3570 3.40GHz, 16GB RAM and a Nvidia geforce graphics card (though not an expensive one) currently running Windows 7. It is a good PC and still flies perfectly fine even when rendering the 40MB RAW files from my D800.

The Surface isnt' meant to replace the desktop (though ti might in some respects) it's meant for when I'm out in the field, away for a weekend etc. It's definitely going to replace my old i5 Dell Studio laptop for sure as that thing doesn't last more than 45 mins on battery these days and blows like an old steam liner all the time.LOL.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm currently using a desktop PC homebuild which I built in Sept 2012. It has an i5 3570 3.40GHz, 16GB RAM and a Nvidia geforce graphics card (though not an expensive one) currently running Windows 7. It is a good PC and still flies perfectly fine even when rendering the 40MB RAW files from my D800.

The Surface isnt' meant to replace the desktop (though ti might in some respects) it's meant for when I'm out in the field, away for a weekend etc. It's definitely going to replace my old i5 Dell Studio laptop for sure as that thing doesn't last more than 45 mins on battery these days and blows like an old steam liner all the time.LOL.

Well your covered :)

You can gauge your graphics by comparing Intel HD 5000 against whatever you've got in desktop or laptop using a simple Google search like: "Passmark Intel HD 5000 "
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Intel+HD+5000

Passmark Intel GMA HD if that's what's in the Dell
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Intel+Media+Accelerator+HD

Or Passmark geforce 540 etc.

Then there's the SSD storage that just makes things fly.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well your covered :)

You can gauge your graphics by comparing Intel HD 5000 against whatever you've got in desktop or laptop using a simple Google search like: "Passmark Intel HD 5000 "
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Intel HD 5000

Passmark Intel GMA HD if that's what's in the Dell
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Intel Media Accelerator HD

Or Passmark geforce 540 etc.

Then there's the SSD storage that just makes things fly.
I think it'll be fine ;-)
The desktop has two SSD's one for windows and program files and one purely as a scratch disk for Photoshop. (I also have a standard HDD too).

The Dell is about 4 years old now so I expect the Surface will whoop it's arse :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
With the exception of the latest CC, Adobe used XP GDI scaling that is the cause of the incompatibility with high DPI screens.

Adobe worked with MS, Intel and N-Trig on the latest version of their suite so that it would be a good experience on the SP3.

macmee

On paper the i7 is the better machine, with equal battery life to the i5. In reality I'm waiting to see.

megatronium

On paper the i7 is the better machine, with equal battery life to the i5. In reality I'm waiting to see.

If you're willing to undervolt your CPU until Microsoft gets the thermal profile corrected, it is almost assuredly better. I'll let you know Friday.

OP
S

sean_scouser

think am going to go for i7 like cant help me self like if ye spending x amount on a device might as well get best one you can , specailly as i will keep it till it virtually breaks

Kif

If you're willing to undervolt your CPU until Microsoft gets the thermal profile corrected, it is almost assuredly better. I'll let you know Friday.

Just curious, why do you think the thermal profile is currently incorrect?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just curious, why do you think the thermal profile is currently incorrect?
Good point. If Intel designed the i5 and i7 with the same TDP then they should have accounted for performance difference in the design. Which from an engineering perspective your given a TDP target and performance metric you'd hit them with what ever techniques were needed to make both.

In another company in another time with much bigger hardware if the entry level system design over performed it was slowed so that it didn't cannibalize the mid range models and on up the line. there's give and take there also... often techniques developed for one can be used in others.