What's new

Initial Thoughts...

bluegrass

Don't understand why so many people worry about comparing their new S3 to something else. Relax, sit back & enjoy what you have. So what if it takes a second longer to open a file, boot, etc. Don't be impatient. I'm sure you can surf the Internet, send and receive emails, and even run Microsoft Office. I may get one for on the road because of it's lighter weight and slightly smaller but still ample screen size. I have an SP3 I7 512 meg. I will also for sure get a SP4 when it gets released.

kristalsoldier

There is no cover as such for the Surface 3 is there? I don't want to type on it...my SP3 serves that function. All I want to do is use the stylus and as a pure tablet. Any ideas?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
An iPad cover sorta works :)
it just needs an adapter to attach a little better, or maybe narrowing the the metal bar that swivels around on it so it would fit into the channel for the keyboard cover spine.

I see some touch covers listed on ebay for $27-40 which is about the same cost as an iPad cover.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

An iPad cover sorta works :)
it just needs an adapter to attach a little better, or maybe narrowing the the metal bar that swivels around on it so it would fit into the channel for the keyboard cover spine.

I see some touch covers listed on ebay for $27-40 which is about the same cost as an iPad cover.

Thanks. Touch cover as in the covers that were available with the original Surface RT?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. Touch cover as in the covers that were available with the original Surface RT?
Yep those things :) just disable the device in device manager now its a dumb cover with a keyboard design :)

I'm seriously considering taking a millimeter off off an iPad Cover swivel bar :D the side that sticks out further. however, if you put it in the right place (bottom edge just below the keyboard channel) it sticks on there pretty good. with it centered you end up with half inch on either side uncovered and maybe a 16th of an inch on the long side.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Should just start a kickstarter campaign for a magnetic surface cover already. Really don't understand why MS isn't selling this.

Love the idea of the size of this machine, but definitely not the speed. It's good to see that it's being well received on the whole though. Personally though, just release and mini already. Having an n-trig one note companion device would be awesome, but not a chance in hell i'm going to opt for a samsung piece of rubbish instead.

kristalsoldier

Yep those things :) just disable the device in device manager now its a dumb cover with a keyboard design :)

I'm seriously considering taking a millimeter off off an iPad Cover swivel bar :D the side that sticks out further. however, if you put it in the right place (bottom edge just below the keyboard channel) it sticks on there pretty good. with it centered you end up with half inch on either side uncovered and maybe a 16th of an inch on the long side.

Ok. Thanks well...i am not sure I would want any part of the screen to be exposed...so your first idea of using a Touch Cover sounds very attractive. Available on eBay you say. Thanks again.

ajharper

I wish they would make a Touch Cover for the S3. I have one from my first gen RT Surface. However, it extends a bit on the sides and some of the bezel is exposed. I'd be worried about scratching it. The screen itself isn't exposed. I would REALLY like a Touch Cover though because the amount of typing I would do on the S3 as opposed to using it for a tablet is minimal. The reduced thickness and weight via a TC is really attractive for the S3.

compnovo

I wish they would make a Touch Cover for the S3. I have one from my first gen RT Surface. However, it extends a bit on the sides and some of the bezel is exposed. I'd be worried about scratching it. The screen itself isn't exposed. I would REALLY like a Touch Cover though because the amount of typing I would do on the S3 as opposed to using it for a tablet is minimal. The reduced thickness and weight via a TC is really attractive for the S3.
I had a touch cover with my RT, and even though the type cover offered a better typing experience I thought the touch cover was amazing. Typing on it was better than typing on the tablet screen, and it just plain felt better to my hands when it was folded back for couch surfing.