What's new

is recover image location specific

Steen Rabol

Hi

Is the recover image location specific?

My issue is like this:
I got my SFP in Spain, so during installation one can only install Italian, Portuguese, or Spanish.

I would like to install it in English or Danish.

I do know that i can change the language and it works 95%, but there is still reference to the language selected during installation e.g. iiexpress displays error messages in Spanish.

The restore image file I can download is named SurfacePro3_BMR_50_3.4.1.zip is that related to my serial number (location) or?

What is the name of a US recover image file?

Any hint on how I can get a US/Danish restore image?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards
Steen

OP
S

Steen Rabol

Well. Did that, but nobody really knows how to solve this.

According to the Tech, they only have one restore image - so somehow there must be something on the device that say that it is from Spain.

I have one last theory: I have not wiped the restore partition, so maybe it uses information from that to say "aha... I'm from Spain, let's only display 3 different languages...”

Therefore, my last try will be to wipe the restore partition and start over...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well. Did that, but nobody really knows how to solve this.

According to the Tech, they only have one restore image - so somehow there must be something on the device that say that it is from Spain.

I have one last theory: I have not wiped the restore partition, so maybe it uses information from that to say "aha... I'm from Spain, let's only display 3 different languages...”

Therefore, my last try will be to wipe the restore partition and start over...
So what's your Country Region set to?

And perhaps look at "Change Languages in Windows 8 on Surface Tablets"
Edit, link failed ... search for it :)

or maybe this one

Last edited:
OP
S

Steen Rabol

I have 99% of the surface in the language that I want by applyng the language pack, however once ina while messages in 'original' language shows up.

e.g. I have Webmatrix installed to do simple web development, and it uses iiexpress, and in case of any error, then the error messages is in Spanish, also if I open the Device mananger, there is some reference to Spanish and the same gies for some of the user account stuff.

OP
S

Steen Rabol

yes, and that is Danish as I have installed the Danish language pack, secondary language in the "language" settings is English, so as far as I can see there is no relation to the original language (Spanish) - so it goes deeper :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
yes, and that is Danish as I have installed the Danish language pack, secondary language in the "language" settings is English, so as far as I can see there is no relation to the original language (Spanish) - so it goes deeper :)
Your idea of Recovery and setting up different Original Language is worth a try. if this doesn't work then the "Agent" was wrong and they need to escalate or look deeper.

Nicola

Did you remove the additional languages?
I don't mean disable or deselect, actually remove.
I had the same problem with mine (bought in Italy, changed to English but still few bits were Spanish).
To remove the language you should first add it to the list of languages and from there you should be able to remove the language pack (at least that's what I rememb er)

wertzius

Simply install from a clean Windows 8.1 Image.
It will activate automatically and you can downloadmall drivers as a pack from the microsoft site.

Hobbes5215

I bought mine in Japan and the recovery image I downloaded is the Japanese version. So I wiped it and installed with the English version of Win 8.1 and installed the driver pack for the SP3 and the KB2968599 and KB2969817 updates manually. Windows 8.1 will activate automatically because the product key is stored in the BIOS.

Everything works as usual and thanks to the 10/28 firmware update, my wi-fi issues are mostly gone.