What's new

Javascript executable files?

Russ

I am still trying to find a backdoor way to convince the RT Kindle app that it can read .mobi files. So, I use Windows Explorer to select a .mobi file and choose "Open With." It offers me the opportunity to browse to the application that I want to use.

I have already arranged access to the "Windows Apps" folder, where Kindle lives, but when I get there, I don't know what to choose.

How do I identify the "executable" file in a Javascript app?

High on the learning curve.

Regards,
Russ

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Windows Store Apps do not execute the way Win32 Apps do, there is not a binary executable but an HTML5 or JavaScript package with an XML manifest that is protected by the Application Manager to prevent overflow attacks.

OP
Russ

Russ

Jeff --

Is there a way to initiate execution of the relevant file? As I said, what I am trying to do is to establish an "Open With" relationship between the Kindle app and a .mobi file.

Thanks,
Russ

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Only if the author of the Program has associated the file extension with the App, I do not know of a way to force it...mobi isn't listed as a file extension in the default program control panel.

OP
Russ

Russ

Thanks, Jeff.
I guess I will have to wait until somebody develops a Mobi reader app for the RT.
Failure is not total, however; I did learn some interesting stuff in the attempt.
Regards,
Russ

leeshor

@Russ have you every tried or heard of Calibre? It does E-Book conversions and it's free.

OP
Russ

Russ

Leeshor --

Yes, I have Calibre, but it does not do a good job of converting .mobi to .epub. The content is all there, but the formatting gets messed up, and reading it is disconcerting.

A better program is Istonsoft's Mobi to Epub converter, but it's not free ($20+). It does a much better job.

I have a lot of mobi books, and would rather not have to go through the conversion process when I want to read one on my RT. It is also possible, as my late Wife often suggested, that I do carry tenacity to the ragged edge of being a fault.

I have not given up the quest, but I have suspended the effort -- . . . . . . at least for tonight.

Take care,
Russ

machistmo

@Russ - lol @ Tenacity comment, and sorry to hear about your wife. These are the pains of being early adopters. I think the surface pro is what most people are looking for in a MS tablet. With a few small tweaks and app additions however, I think the RT can remain a strong option in the market place.

OP
Russ

Russ

machistmo;8601 I think the surface pro is what most people are looking for in a MS tablet.[/QUOTE said:
I agree, and am planning to pre-order one as soon as the opportunity is available. I intend to order the 128G model with Touchcover. For perspective, this is to be a Laptop Replacement , so comparisons to the iPad Mini or the latest Android phone are dysfunctional. In my heart I knew that the RT was not going to be the answer, but I bought it anyhow, while I could at least pretend I had a good reason. I am really enjoying it. I have an iPad (which was a gift) that I use almost exclusively as a reader. I plan to pass it along to one of my granddaughters and use the RT instead. I still think some clever app developer will offer a Mobi reader for the RT. Meanwhile, I can do Mobi to Epub conversions for my reading, and really, really enjoy the benefit of having an actual, accessible file system.

As to "early adopters," I have always been and am destined always to be. It's just fun! The trick to enjoying it is to not go in with expectations of perfection, and just enjoy the challenges. I just like to try new stuff (except women), and now that I don't have to work for a living, I have more time to do it.

Take care,
Russ