What's new

Solved Keep getting hung on Surface screen??

Captpt

My SP3 recently started getting hung up randomly at the Surface screen during boot up, I know the steps to bring it out of this state but with it happening more frequently these days something is not right, I did do a reset but seems that didn't help. I've always kept it updated and after the reset ran update and all is up to date.
I'm hoping someone else has successfully dealt with this issue, trying to avoid doing a clean install if it can be corrected other wise.. thanks in advance :)

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@Captpt ,

Check out the "Startup" tab of Task Manager. Make sure you know about each of the programs starting up. You may have one that is waiting for communications with a network, or is slow, or is misconfigured, or is just plain bad. Disable or remove any offending items.

OP
C

Captpt

Thanks Sharpe, only One Note and Defender were in startup and disabling them didn't do the trick..
Dread the thoughts of a clean install, being a Win 8 original upgraded to 10 pose any issues if I do a clean install through Recovery??

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Sharpe, only One Note and Defender were in startup and disabling them didn't do the trick..
Dread the thoughts of a clean install, being a Win 8 original upgraded to 10 pose any issues if I do a clean install through Recovery??

Don't do a clean install if you can avoid it.

Try these first:

1) Run a system file checker (SFC.exe)
2) "Reset". This option leaves your files, but refreshes Windows. You will find it in Settings, Update & Security, Recovery, Reset this PC.

OP
C

Captpt

I will try the System File Checker Tool, I did a run the Reset 2 days ago and then ran Windows Update so it is definitely up to date.
Side note, I just tried letting the Surface screen go and after 4-5 minutes it did boot up making me wonder what can be causing it to hang so long before booting up?? Nothing is set to run at "Start up" so what could be the culprit?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Are you using a Micro-SD Card per chance? Remove it and see if it goes away, if so it may have become corrupted, you can format it and see if it works normally after...

OP
C

Captpt

File Checker Tool found no issues, I will remove my Sandisk Ultra 64Gb micro/XC card and see if things improve..
Thank you Sharpuser & jnjroach for your suggestions & help!!

OP
C

Captpt

Reset it....sorry

Did a Reset a couple days ago but it didn't fix the problem, clean install seems to be next option but honestly never did that with a SP3, its not like with PCs where I can pop in the disc and do a fresh install. This SP3 was originally Win 8, I did the MS's free upgrade to Win 10 so a factory reset will put Win 8 back on. Starting to research how I can do a clean Win 10 install..

Metalman

This is the information I used to do a clean install from 8.1 to 10.

1.First, download the Surface Pro 3 recovery media from Microsoft
2.Next, extract the contents of the downloaded ZIP file onto a USB drive that has been formatted with the FAT32 filesystem. You will need at least 16GB of on the drive.
3.With your Surface powered off, insert the USB drive.
4.Press and hold the Volume Down button, and then press and release the Power button. When the Surface logo appears, release the Volume Down button.
5.Choose your language and country, and then go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.
6.Type "diskpart" then press Enter
7.Type "select disk system" then press Enter. This action will select the drive that the operating system is loaded on. There's no turning back after this next step…
8.Type "clean" then press Enter. Your hard drive is now erased.
9.Type "exit" then press Enter
10.Turn off your Surface and power it on using the method in Step 4
11.Choose your language and country, and then go to Troubleshoot > Reset your PC
12.Click Next
13.Click "Yes, repartition the drives."
14.Follow the prompts to begin the recovery process
15.If prompted, confirm that you want to clear the TPM (trusted Platform Module) by pressing F12
Your Surface will now boot up and finish the installation. You then will be directed to the initial device setup, starting with Region and Language settings.