What's new

LAPTOP 3 OPEN LID WAKE TURN OFF

John_M

HI I'm new to the group.. I just purchased the Laptop 3... Great! However, usually after a complete power off, when open the lid I would have to press the power button to turn it on. Perfect!... I haven't changed anything in the system registry or power settings. But now after after having it about six weeks, after a complete power off, when I open the lid it turns on automatically. (I wouldn't mind it if I put it into sleep mode or something, but this is a COMPLETE POWER OFF). Any searching I've done on the web, tells me to enter a string of commands at the Windows PowerShell (admin) and it supposed to reveal the Open Lid Function in the Advanced Power Settings, but it doesn't. I would really like to control when I turn on and off the Laptop 3. Can someone help?

Thanks!
John

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Wish I could help, John. Don’t know why you can’t access the options. Is your Surface (policy) managed by an organization?

Try the registry fix.

Also, the first time you shut down after making the change, if you can, do it not by doing a lid close. Shut down fully, then close the lid.

Let us know.

OP
J

John_M

Wish I could help, John. Don’t know why you can’t access the options. Is your Surface (policy) managed by an organization?

Try the registry fix.

Also, the first time you shut down after making the change, if you can, do it not by doing a lid close. Shut down fully, then close the lid.

Let us know.
No not managed by an organization... It my personal Laptop 3. What is crazy is what I found is... If I hibernate once, every time I shut down (the normal way) and close the lid, the next day if I open the lid it just starts. However, if I do a RESTART and then after do a normal shut down it seems to work that way it supposed too... Not sure why, but it appears to be buggy.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
if I do a RESTART and then after do a normal shut down it seems to work that way it supposed too... Not sure why, but it appears to be buggy.
Yes, based upon this description, a software bug sounds probable.

I will test this with the most recent Windows 11 build and post results.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Works fine in my build of Windows 10 and Windows 11 (on a Surface Book 2 15").

All I can suggest is that you do a Reset with the "Save my Files" option. Windows settings may be confused or improper on your Laptop 3.