What's new

Latest security rollup kb4530702 fails on RT

OP
A

Al oha

currently trying to complete a "refresh" (keep my files) which is "arduous" at best because of the number "check for update cycles" required along the way. Hopefully, it will work... I will probably fall into the earlier "mishap" of updates that caused problems a way back with ordering cause I am just going to let the system do its thing. :-(

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
80073701 indicates Some of the System Files Are Either Missing or Corrupt.

You should run from an Admin Command Prompt
DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
then
SFC /scannow

If that doesn't fix the problem you probably need to do a Reset and Keep Everything to preserve your files unless you have them all backed up (which is a good idea anyway) or Reset and Remove Everything if it's backed up.

The other alternative would be to Download a Recovery Image, put it on USB drive and restore that which will wipe everything and give you a clean Image. After which there'll be a billion updates to run...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/surfacerecoveryimage

Download the files and save them to your Surface or another PC. The files will be downloaded in a compressed folder (.zip file).

Important

Don’t download the files directly to your USB drive. Save them on your Surface or another PC—you’ll need to come back to them later.
Instructions for creating the recovery drive and using it:

To create it See section: Download and create a factory recovery image for your Surface

to use it see section: How to reset your Surface to factory conditions using a downloaded recovery image

That's all there is to it ;)

Edit: Huh, didn't see your reply about already starting the refresh... So you may not need this...

OP
A

Al oha

thanks... I tried the DISM and SFC commands (in admin mode / run). They didn't pickup anything or change the result of the fail for that update (other subsequent ones install fine). So I am in the slow process of a refresh. IF that doesn't get me out of it, I will then do a factory recovery image which I already had on usb drive and have used before (used machines).

It is currently up to / installed a 2019-11 servicing stack update (kb4504418), so perhaps it may eventually get there. The update system on these seems "funny" as you can run the checker but it finds nothing but if you leave for a bit and then ask for a shutdown, in the options, a "update and restart" option shows up sometimes as opposed to a "restart" only.

OP
A

Al oha

So the "infamous" kb3000850 showed up in the history this morning. I don't recall this being "install marked" or even in the list but maybe was there. Not sure if I am now in the "not seeing any more updates" mode that this update appeared to "cause" based on some posts / internet that I have seen and have experienced in my travels.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's your build number reported by running Winver?
Look in Update History, Do you see KB4530702?

OP
A

Al oha

The build version is win 6.3 9600. The "failed update" that started this thread still hasn't made in the list either as "to be updated / installed" or already installed.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You'll see monthly updates listed starting with year-month yyyy-mm.
What are the last four monthly updates installed?

OP
A

Al oha

it hasn't done any "monthly rollups" yet... the latest "servicing stack" update is 2019-11.

IF I understand the status check for updates.... the latest check was done this morning and found nothing "important"... just a bunch of "optional ones". I suspect that I have fallen into the kb3000850 issue where you have to do some manual loading to cause the system to start properly checking for updates. :-(

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's the last update mine has installed and it was installed after the 2019-12 updates.

My build is also 6.3 9600.

Check file versions:
Hdaudio.sys 6.3.9600.19452

Bthport.sys 6.3.9600.19542

User32.dll 6.3.9600.19540

Kernel32.dll 6.3.9600.19538

Ntoskrnl.exe 6.3.9600.19538

OP
A

Al oha

That's the last update mine has installed and it was installed after the 2019-12 updates.

My build is also 6.3 9600.

Check file versions:
Hdaudio.sys 6.3.9600.19452

Bthport.sys 6.3.9600.19542

User32.dll 6.3.9600.19540

Kernel32.dll 6.3.9600.19538

Ntoskrnl.exe 6.3.9600.19538

hdaudio.sys 6.3 9600 19452
bthport.sys is 6.3 9600 19542
user32.dll is 6.3 9600 19574 <---- different but not by much if the numbers mean anything
kernel32.dll is 6.3 9600 19538
ntoskrnl is 6.3 9600 19538

OP
A

Al oha

I just noticed that the MSN weather app has an issue. Previously, it would not load any home page with "failed please try again" .... but with the refreash, the active tile had come back to life and was updating. So Just tried the tile to take a look at the info in those weather sites and it failed. Not sure when / what caused to this to happen as I thought since the tile was updating that the app was functioning ok. But alas, it has some issue, maybe related to updates but maybe just a coincidence. The tile functions on my 8.1 tabletpc.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Store Apps update separately and it may not have happened yet.

The file versions I gave you were from KB4530702 so you should be all up to date ... Somehow...
The User32 is actually a newer version file so good there too.

I tried opening Weather and it just hangs. Is that what you get? There might be a way to reinstall it but I don't remember at the moment.
I typically use The Weather Channel though, which is working fine. Oddly this App is not available on the ProX:(

Edit: I went looking for the Weather App download but couldn't find it in the Catalog or anywhere else... not sure if it's still supported... I have had other RT apps just disappear before.

Last edited: