What's new

Like a fool, I updated now my SB2 15 inch doesn't have a dGPU

OP
chekhonte

chekhonte

January's WHQL was the last one the was compatible with the SB 2 from a straight install. I was able to install that one and then it updated to the March Driver. The April update fails.

I was able to force the April Driver but it caused many stuttering issues so I guess I should believe them :D
I wouldn't have noticed I didn't have a gpu until I heard my fan spinning hard. Intel graphics has a hard time running a video upscaled to 4k on its own.

macmee

so do you guys think it's worth updating to the creators update then or should I wait for the Gpu bug to be fixed? I suppose it doesn't matter much anyway since I don't see the update yet but I was thinking about hunting it down manually and giving it a try.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
so do you guys think it's worth updating to the creators update then or should I wait for the Gpu bug to be fixed? I suppose it doesn't matter much anyway since I don't see the update yet but I was thinking about hunting it down manually and giving it a try.
There were three two creators updates: 1703 & 1709. The 1803 was rumored to be the third creators update but was instead named April 2018 update. I'm confused by your question, you'll have to be more specific.

macmee

There were three two creators updates: 1703 & 1709. The 1803 was rumored to be the third creators update but was instead named April 2018 update. I'm confused by your question, you'll have to be more specific.

In windows update I cannot see 1803, only 1709. I guess I can go on the insider thing and get it there.

macmee

Alright.... I got the graphics card being detected again (in fortnite I see activity on GPU 1) but I'm getting massive frame drops every 10 seconds or so.

I have the official nvidia driver from microsoft and I'm attempting to install 397.31 from nvidia experience but it keeps saying installation cannot continue. When I install it manually from their site I get "hardware cannot be detected". For whatever reason it looks like nvidia cant see the 1060, and that the windows update definitely broke something since games are currently unplayable.