What's new

Poll List of common issues with SP3

Which issues are you experiencing with your SP3?

• Wifi issues (not connecting, dropped connections, slow speeds, etc.)

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • Bluetooth issues (not connecting, dropped connections, etc.)

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Screen build issues (yellow streak, dead pixels, colour problems, etc.)

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • Battery drainage issues (low battery life <6h, battery draining overnight, etc.)

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Charger issues (not fully recharging, takes too long to recharge, etc.)

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Heat/fan issues (unusually high heat, fan kicking in often, not kicking in, etc.)

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Type cover issues (not responding, trackpad not working, etc.)

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Pen issues (not connecting, buttons not working, etc.)

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Hardware functional issues (sudden reboots, unable to sleep/wake, freezes, unresponsive touch, etc.)

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Software issues (apps and programs not working as intended, etc.)

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Other (explain in post)

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • I have not experienced any issues at all.

Votes: 25 32.1%

• Total voters

nipponham

I think very few us of can claim that our SP3 has been trouble-free. Admittedly, that may be the case with many of the products we purchase but I think many of us have experienced our fair share with this product. I’ve read many posts asking for help with a lot of various issues and I’m trying to get a sense of what the most common issues are. If anything, I hope Microsoft can refer to this poll and see what fixes need to be prioritized.

I’ve made a list of the most common problems I’ve seen discussed in the forums and added “Other” for miscellaneous stuff not covered. To be fair, I’ve also added an option for those who have not had any problems with their SP3. You can vote for as many issues as you currently have, but please do not check an item if your issue has been resolved. For example, I used to have problems with battery draining quickly and a hot back cover, but these have been resolved with a refresh and change of antivirus. The issues I’ve checked is with type cover not responding and Bluetooth not connecting regularly. You can vote if you returned your SP3 because of these issues, as well.

And, I’ve only included problems with the device itself, the included pen and charger, and the type cover which is its most common accessory. Other accessories such as the docking station and various mouse have not been included to keep the poll manageable.

※I forgot to include "Physical issues (screen popping out, bent casing, kickstand problems, etc.)" I guess that can be included in "Others".

Last edited:

Wierdninja

My SP3 has been problem free from the beginning. I've only had it a month, but, no issues at all. I wish it had even better battery life than it does, but, it's pretty good as it is. The core i5 is pretty good. It's the device I think most people should get. Core i7 is overkill for the price. Haven't used the dock yet, but, we'll see. Try it this weekend. The biggest problem I've had is trying to find a cool case for it!

dstrauss

Mine still randomly reboots or won't restart from being shut off (not from sleep - very strange); and most aggravating is CONSTANT crashes of Internet Explorer. It seems like every session ends by IE crashing - a real PITA. And this has been going on since the SPro 3 was new.

Second worst problem is pen failure - it just won't write and I have to either restart OneNote, or even restart the computer, which is very much a pain when you are in the middle of a conference taking notes...

stonerwinst

WIFI won't reconnect properly to the router when waking up from connected standby. It is a very annoying problem as you can't open the SP3 and start using it when this happens. You have to go through a dance just to get it going, EVERYTIME!

Microsoft, please fix this issue and make it right!

Donald King

I have had no issues with the SP3. My WiFi and battery work well, no build issues, pen works when I use it although I am not a fan of pens so I rarely use it. I had had a couple software issues but those were not SP3 related - they were software issues that could have happened on any Windows 8 / 8.1 system. I went from a MacBook Pro to my SP3, and so far haven't looked back.

OP
nipponham

nipponham

Well well, a full 24 hours after the initial post and I see that the biggest voting bloc is for those who haven’t had any problems with their devices with 15 votes. I expected some people would have had trouble-free experiences but I never would have guessed it would be the leading vote-getter. Maybe they just need more time with it:p

I’m also surprised to see wifi issues at 13 to be as big a problem as it still is, mostly because I’ve never experienced any, and I thought that the big firmware update in October dealt with most issues. Apparently not.

The other issues, except for a couple, are represented pretty evenly across the board and indicate that some devices have several common faults associated with them or, each device has a different problem but the spectrum of their appearance is evenly spread across owners in this forum. I tend to think it’s the former.