What's new

Little bit late to the OMG party..

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never once had an instance to use the sp3 for anything but work, as a standalone device. But just got home after 4 months of running around, and couldn't bring my desktop back with me, and the sp3 just rocks!

Previously resorted to plugging my nexus 10 into my hdtv's, coupled with all the limits it has such as flash etc. Just plugged sp3 in, and well, i can't tel the difference between this and my desktop. Think i'm gonna buy a miracast adaptor and start making better use of this thing as an actual computer.

I say it's perfect, the only downside compared to my desktop (experience) is that on the sp3, IE is an utter and complete pig, just closing a tab can often take about 10 seconds for any kind of reaction from the browser, even longer to restore a closed tab. But fially seeing what people were talking about when they said it had replaced their desktop. And unlike a laptop, it has an almost nonexistent footprint :)

I'm late to quite a few things, so forgive my tardy enthusiasm. Also my first time on youtube in 4 months. My mind is feeling blown.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure why your having such an experience with IE, I never had a problem with it. you have plugins or cantankerous antivirus kicking up?

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure why your having such an experience with IE, I never had a problem with it. you have plugins or cantankerous antivirus kicking up?

Nope. Nothing in the background. My sp3 has winrar, vlc, and office on it. Those cover the entirety of my needs. But yop, ie has always been a complete pig for me, when using a second display and when just used as is.

Its a non issue though. When not working my desktop is purely for media purposes. I always haveatablet at hand (now that the sp3 is performing the desktop duties, a nexus 10) for browsing while I watch. Unless I'm at home for a significant period, then I just use a pair of 42 inch HDTVs side by side little different to an office setup. I stopped using desktop monitors about a decade ago, used nothing but HDTVs since.

You've got something wrong with your IE. I would disable all of your IE add-ons and try loading a tab. Are you running a virus scanner? Sometimes it takes less time doing a full system restore with windows 8.1 then it does to try troubleshooting the issue. Just trying help you out, as I wouldn't want to live with that issue.

compnovo

I have to agree with the others, I'm not experiencing any problems with IE in either the MUI or desktop mode. I only bring this up to support that the problem isn't with the SP3, there's some kind of issue with IE on your tablet (that can probably be fixed :)).

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm aware that it can probably be fixed, but a. I have a handful of other browsers available if it annoys me enough, and it's also windows 10, so rather giving it the benefit of the doubt.

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
so your using win10? maybe that's why its so slow? cuzz my IE is zippety fast!

I should have mentioned it in my OP. I fully leg it down to win 10. There are many bugs to be found :) no way a complaint against the surface. This is simply my first experience using it as a complete desktop/htpc replacement, and even with win 10 it is mostly great.

This thread was more simply about how it really is a do anything anywhere computer. If I had a miracast HDMI dongle and miracast worked to its full/desired potential, I'd be set. I've android tablets and had an iPad air 2, they might be smaller amdnall that lot, but this thing takes the biscuit :)