What's new

Mac to Surface? Are you still Happy?

scottysize

For those of you that switched from a Mac to the Surface, what are your thoughts now? I was happy with the decision at first. I even talked a few into buying one.

EDITED after reading some comments: The information below is just my experience with Windows 8.1 and really doesn't have anything to do with the hardware. At least, I don't think it does. The device is a good design and something that I wanted to love, I just am not happy with the Windows environment. Keep in mind, I do have a Windows 7 desktop for gaming and use it everyday, so I am a Windows user. I have been since 1995.

However, after several months with the Surface Pro 3, I have to say I’m sorry I made the switch. The form factor is great. Love the size and the ability to touch the screen, but that’s where it ends. Windows 8.1 is horrible. Worse than I thought it’d be. My Surface continues to degrade with each and every update. This past one now has it so that the top of the screen will not work by touching it. I have to use the track pad or a mouse to switch tabs, open close programs, etc. The WiFi is better, but it still goes into Limited mode every now and then, only now a simple WiFi off and back on won’t resolve the problem. Now it requires a reboot. Speaking of reboots, those are common place for my Surface. I’d say I have to reboot at least 3 times a week. That’s if it’s plugged in. If it remains unplugged and goes to sleep, it requires a reboot to work properly after the 5 minutes to wake back up. MS still hasn’t figured out how to put a computer to sleep. You’d think they would have found a way over the past 10 years.

In short, I miss my MacBook Pro. I never should have sold it. Now all I can think is that I’d love to switch out this Surface, but sadly the value of the Surface has dropped so that I can’t even sell it and buy a comparable MacBook. I’ll have to save my pennies, or just forget about it completely. I find myself grabbing the iPad more and more and the Surface less and less. Any time I grab the surface something new happens and it makes me angry. IE: The latest is top of the screen no longer working to the touch.

So, if you switch from a Mac to a SP3, are you still happy?

I’ve already reset it quite a few times. I’m tired of resetting too. If I can sell this thing for a decent price, it’s going to be gone soon. Goodbye Microsoft. Thanks for the memories!

Last edited:

BillJ

Very sorry to hear about your problems. I just hate it when people on these forums reply "Well, I haven't had any of those problems", but... well, I did, but don't any more

Sounds like you might have a faulty unit. I had such a unit, and got a replacement at [email protected]; no hassle, and the replacement is (nearly) flawless.

Before you completely abandon the platform, treat yourself to a replacement unit; you may fall in love again.

I did

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Very sorry to hear about your problems. I just hate it when people on these forums reply "Well, I haven't had any of those problems", but... well, I did, but don't any more

Sounds like you might have a faulty unit. I had such a unit, and got a replacement at [email protected]; no hassle, and the replacement is (nearly) flawless.

Before you completely abandon the platform, treat yourself to a replacement unit; you may fall in love again.

I did
Really? Hadn't thought about that. Most of my problems have occurred over the past few updates. I'm pretty sure that they are Windows 8.1 related and not hardware related, but I'll give them a shot.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The WiFi issue is a driver issue, that in theory has been resolved in today's Firmware Update....

The Touch Screen issue happens occasionally, typically the Touch Firmware Driver has stopped, if it happens all the time it may be a corrupted driver or hardware issue.

OP
scottysize

scottysize

I found several updates this morning. My problem is that each update has broke something else. I have a buddy that really wants to buy mine, so I'll probably sell it to him and see if I can just go without a laptop. I've got an iPad Air, so in theory, I shouldn't need a laptop.

InspectHerGadget

It sounds like your unit has serious faults. I would return it for repair else you stand to lose some serious money.

I returned my SP3 as I wasn't happy with handwriting but am very happy with my SP2.

I also am a fan of macs and have owned several, the latest is the MBA 11 2014 model.

IMHO, the Mac is more refined and nicer to use. That is everything is generally smoother and more refined. You tend not to get flicked out of things or lose text when typing and web browsing is more enjoyable.

I still use the Surface though as it has touch which I like and I can handwrite notes for jobs I do. It is also a Windows world and I've given up going between OS X and Windows. I need a mac at times though and when I use it, it reminds me of just how good they are. Microsoft could certainly learn a bit about fit and finish metaphorically speaking from Apple. Windows 8.1 is rough in comparison.

Microsoft though have so many strengths including the integration between my windows phone, surface and desktop and their online cloud services.

If I were you I would just get the Surface checked out and stick with it.

olimjj

I found several updates this morning. My problem is that each update has broke something else. I have a buddy that really wants to buy mine, so I'll probably sell it to him and see if I can just go without a laptop. I've got an iPad Air, so in theory, I shouldn't need a laptop.

Since when is an iPad Air a replacement for a laptop?

InspectHerGadget

Since when is an iPad Air a replacement for a laptop?
I have a MBA 11, an iPad Air and SP2.

No way is the iPad a substitute for an SP2 but on the other hand if you get yourself a bluetooth keyboard and just want to do basic web and email, sure it will be fine.