What's new

Looking for a keyboard which includes numeric keys

CFCSupporter

Hi there,

I will get my SP3 soon (I would already have it, if it was available in Switzerland). As I need a few gadgets for my SP3, I love to be on this site for information. Unfortunately, I'm not an huge expert with the SP3, as I never owned a Surface.

I will begin my studies in September. A lot of mentioned the Arc Touch Mouse which I definitely will get. As I need the numeric keys (I'm so used to them, that they're a must for me) I'm looking for a small, wireless keyboard which includes the numeric keys. Do you use some of your own? Would you just get the numeric keys seperatly and buy the SP3 keyboard?

Looking forward to the different suggestions! :)

grumpy

I'm not used to apple products. Does it work with a SP3? Aren't there any issues?
While it is designed with an Apple aesthetic, it is just a bluetooth device. The description says that it works with bluetooth enabled Macs and PCs. I don't have any experience with the device, but I can't see why it wouldn't work with the SP3.

Liam2349

Try that keypad out if you want, Amazon won't give you any trouble returning it if it doesn't work.

Thing is though, I feel like carrying all this extra around kind of defeats the purpose of using a Surface. It's no longer ultra mobile, you now require a desk.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try that keypad out if you want, Amazon won't give you any trouble returning it if it doesn't work.

Thing is though, I feel like carrying all this extra around kind of defeats the purpose of using a Surface. It's no longer ultra mobile, you now require a desk.
That would be expected ... a student studies at their desk... to be fair, I had a roommate that studied at the bar... and his grades reflected that. :)

Liam2349

That would be expected ... a student studies at their desk... to be fair, I had a roommate that studied at the bar... and his grades reflected that. :)

On the topic of studying, I'm a Physics student. I do all my math work in OneNote, with the stylus, and I tend to do it completely chilled, feet up, comfy chair... Don't use a desk. Even when I'm doing programming in MATLAB, I still don't often use a desk outside of class, because the Surface allows for programming on your lap.

I like that you can use Surface anywhere - there's no space for a massive laptop in lectures, but Surface is so flexible in how you can use it. In my case of programming on the sofa, there's nowhere to put down a numberpad.

I don't need a desk for textbooks or homework sheets either - I download them all and put the questions on one side and OneNote on the other (looking forward to SP3 for more space with this).

I guess it depends how you use it, but for me, I always try to use Surface in the comfiest position I can, which tends to be away from a desk.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
On the topic of studying, I'm a Physics student. I do all my math work in OneNote, with the stylus, and I tend to do it completely chilled, feet up, comfy chair... Don't use a desk. Even when I'm doing programming in MATLAB, I still don't often use a desk outside of class, because the Surface allows for programming on your lap.

I like that you can use Surface anywhere - there's no space for a massive laptop in lectures, but Surface is so flexible in how you can use it. In my case of programming on the sofa, there's nowhere to put down a numberpad.

I don't need a desk for textbooks or homework sheets either - I download them all and put the questions on one side and OneNote on the other (looking forward to SP3 for more space with this).

I guess it depends how you use it, but for me, I always try to use Surface in the comfiest position I can, which tends to be away from a desk.
As such I wouldn't expect you'd be looking for a keyboard with numeric keypad... different strokes for different folks... but I could be wrong... the OP may be planning to carry this around and just plop down any ol where, open the Pic-a-nic basket and setup shop. :)

Liam2349

As such I wouldn't expect you'd be looking for a keyboard with numeric keypad... different strokes for different folks... but I could be wrong... the OP may be planning to carry this around and just plop down any ol where, open the Pic-a-nic basket and setup shop. :)

True, but I think there's a point where you might as well get a laptop, unless the stylus is something you really need - stylus is the main reason I got a SP2.