What's new

Loss for words; No music with the screen off?

cricenog

I'm at a loss for words, so disappointed, I spent two days getting the Surface 3 all setup from my iPad Air, and I find out if I have Spotify open and streaming music via Airfoil to my wireless speaker, the moment the screen turns off the music stops. I've tried all the "workarounds" I can find with no luck. I cannot believe out of all the issues out there this is what will cause me to return it. Is there really no way to do this? This is a huge part of what I use my tablet for.

Thanks,

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm at a loss for words, so disappointed, I spent two days getting the Surface 3 all setup from my iPad Air, and I find out if I have Spotify open and streaming music via Airfoil to my wireless speaker, the moment the screen turns off the music stops. I've tried all the "workarounds" I can find with no luck. I cannot believe out of all the issues out there this is what will cause me to return it. Is there really no way to do this? This is a huge part of what I use my tablet for.

Thanks,
I assume this is a desktop app it should work with a modern Windows Store App.

New2ToMe

Airfoil to my wireless speaker, the moment the screen turns off the music stops

It would help greatly if you at least outlined what you have tried.

I have what I am sure the answer is, but see no point writing stuff if you have tried it.

Try to be constructive and objective when obtaining a solution.

OP
C

cricenog

You're right, sorry about that, just disappointed.

I've tried adding "-enable-exclusive-audio" to the end of the executable (This was specific to Chrome, I have not tried that yet), only in the Spotify app, and I've tried nircmd registry hack for the option to turn off the display - http://www.lovemysurface.net/turn-off-the-screen-on-surface-tablets/

I've looked at the various power settings, but no luck.

Yes, these are desktop apps - if there is a way to run Spotify via a metro app I can give it a try.

Thanks everyone, apologize for my tone, I was just astonished and really want this to work!

zhenya

That's just the way it is unless you have a Modern app. The Surface is a great device, but it's not a whole replacement for my iPad.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You're right, sorry about that, just disappointed.

I've tried adding "-enable-exclusive-audio" to the end of the executable (This was specific to Chrome, I have not tried that yet), only in the Spotify app, and I've tried nircmd registry hack for the option to turn off the display - http://www.lovemysurface.net/turn-off-the-screen-on-surface-tablets/

I've looked at the various power settings, but no luck.

Yes, these are desktop apps - if there is a way to run Spotify via a metro app I can give it a try.

Thanks everyone, apologize for my tone, I was just astonished and really want this to work!
All Windows Application will suspend when the machine goes into Connected Standby, the Xbox Music App will continue to run as well as a few others. Spotify will hopefully port over their Windows Phone App to a Universal App when Windows 10 launches...

OP
C

cricenog

All Windows Application will suspend when the machine goes into Connected Standby, the Xbox Music App will continue to run as well as a few others. Spotify will hopefully port over their Windows Phone App to a Universal App when Windows 10 launches...

Do you know when that will be?

Looks like there are a few other registry hacks I can try, I'll post the results, but if anyone has other thoughts please let me know. Thanks!!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Do you know when that will be?

Looks like there are a few other registry hacks I can try, I'll post the results, but if anyone has other thoughts please let me know. Thanks!!
That is up to Spotify....I have no inside info on the when

OP
C

cricenog

I mean for Windows 10, but looks like end of July.

With a native metro app, would it keep the Bluetooth connection? I am going to try that tonight with Xbox Music, may even switch from Spotify if I can move all my playlists. Thanks!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I mean for Windows 10, but looks like end of July.

With a native metro app, would it keep the Bluetooth connection? I am going to try that tonight with Xbox Music, may even switch from Spotify if I can move all my playlists. Thanks!
We don't know a date except that Joe B. said this summer for PC launch....

jev425

Anyone have an alternative way to get pandora to work? I'm new to windows 8 so I will sound clueless lol