What's new

Macgirl here, considering dumping my Mac and ipad for a SP3

Liam2349

I also think a slab weighing nearly two pounds lying on your chest while web surfing is, mmm, just a bit much, not to mention the size of it

Even Microsoft has given up the fight to some degree with the Surface as a tablet by increasing the size.

2lb isn't very heavy. I've never thought of my SP3 as being heavy - I hold it one-handed all the time. Like I said before, other 'tablet' tablets are lighter, but I don't think it's a struggle to hold a SP3.

As for the screen size, I feel like 12", 3:2 is fantastic. Most tablets are too small to use really, whereas A4 is great for me.

Well....

My main issue with Windows is at the core functions. Email, Web and Office. Email in Metro UI is a disaster in my opinion as I have no way to adjust the font size for incoming mail. I have bad eyesight, I'm old and have a very hard time reading text. IE was just okay for browsing. My issue here was I didn't like metro IE layout and UI.. Office was fine but it only works in desktop mode..

I find email very convenient. For example, when I want to email a page in OneNote or email something I'm viewing, it's as simple as swiping in for share and clicking on email. I've never used a device which makes communication so easy. For my main email duties, I use Outlook 2013.

For Web, you can argue that you don't like IE and that's fine. I do like it, aside from the swipe back delay.

As for Office, honestly I think it works great.

I don't believe you can export in Win8.1 unless that's been changed. I thought it will only Import from USB. I heard it was a legal issue, I could be wrong... can anyone confirm.

I don't know about this easy transfer, but File History allows you to create a full system image.

Financials

I haven't read the entire thread yet, on mobile atm, but if going to purchase one consider returning that and going with Microsoft Store (if its a reasonable drive). It will pay off in the long run with MUCH better return / support policies.

I also suggest buying the $250 complete care bundle (warranty + KB + case) versus paying $129.99 for keyboard alone... everyone can use a sleeve, I value that at $20 so the 2 year accidental for $100 extra is a no brainer.

I think you sold yourself and it will be a great switch, but again, the MS store will give you more time to test out your new device before committing.

OP
K

kiwigirl

Well I just got my new SP3, and new black cover.

I have to make yet another trip back. The backspace key isnt pretty correctly.

And my surface backing isnt completely flat. When I have it on the table, I can press the bottom right corner down. WTF!!!!

Great quality control MS!!!!!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I just got my new SP3, and new black cover.

I have to make yet another trip back. The backspace key isnt pretty correctly. Great quality control MS!!!!!
It does seem they have a thing or two to learn in that respect. Although it was rumored to be manufactured by Pegatron, one of the same companies that makes iPads. Perhaps they have different contract language and only do the minimum they have to do.

I know if you have a contract with IBM you'll have to watch them like a hawk or they will omit whatever they can get away with and they will forever be trying to declare things outside the terms of the contract. IBM uses the term "steady state support" which best I can tell means they act like the ground under a very large rock that never moves. Once in a blue moon they will sweep moss of the rock, otherwise you're getting nothing. Steady State = immovable, not changing, frozen in time.

Last edited:
OP
K

kiwigirl

It does seem they have a thing or two to learn in that respect. Although it was rumored to be manufactured by Pegatron, one of the same companies that makes iPads. Perhaps they have different contract language and only do the minimum they have to do.

I know if you have a contract with IBM you'll have to watch them like a hawk or they will omit whatever they can get away with and they will forever be trying to declare things outside the terms of the contract.

This will be my 3rd trip back and im not impressed. Im not sure what im going to do about my new surface not laying completely flat on the table. WTF is up with that?

oh my first touch cover, none of the keys in the top row worked!

leeshor

Don't bother buying any lottery tickets. ;);)

An associate's software company has purchased (now) 8 or 9 SP3s and hasn't seen one issue yet with any of them other than a blue screen issue corrected by updating the WiFi driver.

raqball

I find email very convenient. For example, when I want to email a page in OneNote or email something I'm viewing, it's as simple as swiping in for share and clicking on email. I've never used a device which makes communication so easy. For my main email duties, I use Outlook 2013.

For Web, you can argue that you don't like IE and that's fine. I do like it, aside from the swipe back delay.

As for Office, honestly I think it works great.

No need to be so defensive.. I was not slamming the SP3 and I think I was pretty clear as to why I sold it..

As I stated above:

Email in Metro UI is a disaster in my opinion as I have no way to adjust the font size for incoming mail. I have bad eyesight, I'm old and have a very hard time reading text

I didn't list any other issues with metro email... I don't care how convenient it is as it's worthless to me if I can't read responses.. Outlook is not much better in this regard. I actually purchased Office 365 just to use Outlook.. The slider in Outlook is fine IF you have the typeover attached, if not good luck using your finger on it..

Office does work fine but it's only available in Desktop mode... That's my complaint with it..

Even with mail being a disaster in my opinion and with the issues I have with how metro IE functions I still would have kept the SP3 if it had not been for the hardware issues I encountered..

At any rate, I digress.. I was simply offering the OP my experience with it and am not interested in being told I was using it wrong, holding it wrong etc...

I will more than likely try the SP4 once it comes out in the hopes they've solved the QC issues and perhaps improved upon the metro apps.

Liam2349

No need to be so defensive.. I was not slamming the SP3 and I think I was pretty clear as to why I sold it..

That's not being defensive - it's called sharing my view on the same topic. Not once did I accuse you of 'slamming' the SP3 - in fact, I even criticized IE myself so I'm clueless as to where you got this 'defensive' impression.

OP
K

kiwigirl

Just swapped my keybord and SP3 again. Tested the new one in the store and yes it lays flat. Will go home to test *fingers crossed*

OP
K

kiwigirl

Im now on my 3rd SP3 AND 4TH keyboard
Fingers crossed.
It seems MS can never make a keyboard without problem. Stickying keys is unacceptable especially for $130. I had to show the BB rep...they thought i was crazy. Until the geek squad noticed it too and said its not normal, swap it out again

olimjj

Where have I heard this "template" misfortune scenario before? Or is it just DeJa Vu happening all over again.?:(;)