What's new

Solved Mail & Calendar App for Windows 10 disappeared

Hello all,

I tried to search the Microsoft Support sight and couldn't find the help I needed. So I am posting here. Would anyone know why the Mail & Calendar apps for Windows 10 would suddenly disappear (from the task bar) and how to fix them? They no longer work, though I can select them from the start menu and the empty voids left after they disappeared.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

leeshor

That may indicate that something else is also wrong with your system, a corruption somewhere. Have you tried installing it again from the Store? I assume you have restarted your Surface. You may also want to try sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt.

That may indicate that something else is also wrong with your system, a corruption somewhere. Have you tried installing it again from the Store? I assume you have restarted your Surface. You may also want to try sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt.

How do I reinstall from the Store? When I go there, it says its already installed

By the way, I did restart & ran the sfc / scannow, from the Admin Command Prompt. (I assume that is what you mean by elevated. Nothing showed up, so this did not help.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

leeshor

Yes, an admin command prompt. It seems very strange that it's there but not appearing in your apps list. Go to the admin command prompt again and run the following:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Yes, an admin command prompt. It seems very strange that it's there but not appearing in your apps list. Go to the admin command prompt again and run the following:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

I ran this also, it "completed successfully", but nothing changed. What should I do next?

By the way, the Mail and Calendar apps do show up in the apps list (and the list of live tiles in the start menu), they just don't show up on the task bar (but are blanked out). They are still there because I can click to open them, but they crash every time before they can open.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@NehemiahAdon86

This may have been the effect of an interrupted Windows Update. Settings from your account are used by the Mail and Calendar apps. Your user account on the Surface may need reprovisioning.
A cold (hard) reboot often accomplished this:

COLD REBOOT, HARD RESET - SURFACE BOOK or SURFACE PRO 3 or SURFACE PRO 4
1) Hold power button for 25 seconds. Don't release early, even if you see the screen go black or the keyboard dim. Machine will completely shut down. Release.
2) Press and hold power and VolumeUp buttons simultaneously until you see the "Surface" logo on the screen. Release both buttons. Machine will start into the UEFI menu.
3) Exit the UEFI menu either by touch or bytouchpad. Machine will restart.

@NehemiahAdon86

This may have been the effect of an interrupted Windows Update. Settings from your account are used by the Mail and Calendar apps. Your user account on the Surface may need reprovisioning.
A cold (hard) reboot often accomplished this:

COLD REBOOT, HARD RESET - SURFACE BOOK or SURFACE PRO 3 or SURFACE PRO 4
1) Hold power button for 25 seconds. Don't release early, even if you see the screen go black or the keyboard dim. Machine will completely shut down. Release.
2) Press and hold power and VolumeUp buttons simultaneously until you see the "Surface" logo on the screen. Release both buttons. Machine will start into the UEFI menu.
3) Exit the UEFI menu either by touch or bytouchpad. Machine will restart.
Okay, I did this. There was no change. Is there another step involved?

Thanks

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure your account is validated on the Surface.
Then, login your account on Microsoft.com AND OneDrive. All of these are jnvolved in syncing your settings.

Make sure your account is validated on the Surface.
Then, login your account on Microsoft.com AND OneDrive. All of these are jnvolved in syncing your settings.
Everything seems to be logged in fine; on the Surface, and the Microsoft account and One Drive. Though I am not sure what you mean by validating your account on the Surface? By the way, I had Office 365 on this Surface which expired recently, along with the free Onedrive storage. So I have no storage left. Could this be part of the problem?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Aha ... I think that was likely the problem, but not your fault. Software should not act like this.

So, try this to restore your built-in apps:

1. Run PowerShell as an administrator.
Start, All apps, Windows PowerShell
Right-click on the Windows PowerShell to choose to run as administrator.

2. Allow changes if asked by Windows Security.

3. Run this command:
Code:
Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"

It may take several minutes for the apps to reappear on the Start Menu.

Let us know ...

Aha ... I think that was likely the problem, but not your fault. Software should not act like this.

So, try this to restore your built-in apps:

1. Run PowerShell as an administrator.
Start, All apps, Windows PowerShell
Right-click on the Windows PowerShell to choose to run as administrator.

2. Allow changes if asked by Windows Security.

3. Run this command:
Code:
Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"

It may take several minutes for the apps to reappear on the Start Menu.

Let us know ...
Sorry for the late reply. I didn't seem to get a notification of your last response.
Anyway, I tried doing as you said. I opened the Windows Powershell as Admin (although I had 4 different PowerShell apps to choose from; I just selected the top one) and copied and pasted the code exactly as posted, hit enter and nothing happened.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks