What's new

Micro SD Support on RT???

NexusBeatz

anyone know if the sandisk 128gb sdxc is compatible.. I went to the Microsoft store and they said their not sure cause they never tried it

J515OP

Super Moderator
anyone know if the sandisk 128gb sdxc is compatible.. I went to the Microsoft store and they said their not sure cause they never tried it

I don't believe you can even buy a 128GB microSD at this point so nobody will know. At some point in they will be available and then somebody will have to be the first to try. Chances are very good they will be supported though. Same thing recently happened with the 64GB cards which are only recently available and people with most modern hardware that only listed 32GB support have found that their devices do support 64GB though it isn't in the specs. Sort of a chicken and egg situation but you buy with the specs provided not wishful thinking and if it works for 128GB that is a bonus.

JP

Marco

Here's a summary of what I know about the SD card slot on the Surface:

- It is a micro SDXC slot. The size of the card has to be microSD, not regular on miniSD.
- SDXC cards support up to 2TB. (yes, terrabytes!). Right now 32GB & 64GB are easy to find. 128GB and 256 GB are available. They are "designed" for high end digital cameras and are very expensive. ($800 for 256GB).
- SD cards that are rated as "Class 10" are the fastest at reading and writing data. This is again for cameras that are recording HD video. Class 4 or Class 6 cards probably work fine for storing movies and such on your Surface.
- Most cards you try to buy should already be "SDXC" cards. I assume the reader is backwards compatible with micro "SD" cards, but haven't tried it.
-I got a 64GB microSDXC card from Best Buy on sale for $50. I put it in the SD slot and the Surface shows it as "SD storage device" with 59.4GB of storage. It's that easy.
-I like adding 64 GB of storage for $50 rather than paying MS $100 for 32GB of extra internal storage!
-I hear that you can't store apps on the card. That's seems to be right as the store doesn't give you a storage place option when installing apps.
-I also found that movie files stored on the SD card do not show up as "My Movies" in the video app. Only movies in the "My Videos" folder in Windows show up. I can still play the movies, put I have to go to the folder on the SD card and start the movie from there.

So I have found some minor annoyances with the SD card so far, but having an SD card slot is awesome and the USB port works with my portable USB hard drive as well.

Update: Just saw this on another post on this forum:
"I figured out the problem. I had installed a microsd card and used the disk manager tool to mount it as a local folder instead of a drive letter. I did this so I could store music and videos on the card and have them visible to the apps. But this apparently was causing issues and crashing. As soon as I made the card a drive letter again my apps started working normally."

It appears you can make the SD card appear as part of the "main memory" but that its still a little buggy.

Last edited:

TeknoBlast

I havent tried this myself, but cant you make a folder on the SD card called "Videos" and make it part of the Video Library. That way, when you fire up the Video app, it will look in the Video Library, which is tied to both the My Videos folder and the new folder on the SD card.

**Update

If you go to the Library and go to the Properties of the Video folder, there's a section where you can add new locations. I'm sure this can work for you.

Last edited:
D

dvdcatalyst

I'm trying to figure out if I need to shell out for 64g model RT. The specs I have found online for Surface RT and Pro are vague at best. I have tried to educate myself on SD formats and I'm even more confused now. I know there is a difference between SD, SDHC and SDXC as far as storage capacity and format, but does the card reader and/or software for Surface RT limit sd card size? I assume that PRO version will read micro SDXC of 64g but will RT only read micro SD and 32g. My phones will support 32g but that's the limit, at least according to specs. If I don't understand the SD formats I apologize, but does anybody know or are we all waiting on more info?

I picked up a 64GB card for mine,

Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 64 GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card 30MB/s with Adapter SDSDQUA-064G-U46A: Computers & Accessories

and it worked. Unfortunately, the card was bad, so I did run into issues with video files, some worked, some didn't, but this was due to the card itself and not the Surface RT.

Marco

I havent tried this myself, but cant you make a folder on the SD card called "Videos" and make it part of the Video Library. That way, when you fire up the Video app, it will look in the Video Library, which is tied to both the My Videos folder and the new folder on the SD card.

**Update

If you go to the Library and go to the Properties of the Video folder, there's a section where you can add new locations. I'm sure this can work for you.

Thanks for that info,
I tried adding a SD folder to the video library and I got a message, "This folder cannot be included because it is on a removable device"
I'm going to try "mounting the SD card as a local folder" and see what happens after I figure out how to do that.
I did find that the video app has a file explorer on the bottom menu. I was able to list the movie on the SD card. The movie title doesn't show up though, but you can play it right from the movie app. If you had several movies in one folder, you would have to ID the movie from the icon thumbnail which is just the start of the movie for the file I'm using.