What's new

Miracast?

Orlbuckeye

Well I spent a few days in Pittsburgh last week and I took my Microsoft Display adapter and it had no problem mirroring my video to a LG TV. One thing about the MS display adapter is when i tried to use it on my Acer laptop and my Alienware laptop it didn't work. I've used it on a Surface Book and Surface Book 2 with no problems. The device uses Miracast technology but there must be something in firmware that makes it only work with MS devices.

Best Miracast and Screen-Mirroring Devices 2018

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I have used Miracast with the Surface adapter on Visio TVs, used Sony and LG TVs with the Miracast functions, and AirParrot for other connections. All these work, but disconnect or have problems occasionally.

The most reliable and fastest response I have experienced, along with no-lag audio is with Samsung Smart TV units.

Samurai7388

Well I spent a few days in Pittsburgh last week and I took my Microsoft Display adapter and it had no problem mirroring my video to a LG TV. One thing about the MS display adapter is when i tried to use it on my Acer laptop and my Alienware laptop it didn't work. I've used it on a Surface Book and Surface Book 2 with no problems. The device uses Miracast technology but there must be something in firmware that makes it only work with MS devices.

I do not have the MS Display Adapter, and I am not an expert in this regard, but it sounds to me like your Acer and Alienware laptops may not be fully Miracast compatible or may have a missing/corrupt file, group policy, or other configuration setting issue. I say this because I am skeptical that the adapter would only communicate properly with an MS computer - and because our problem was the opposite - the HP computer worked flawlessly, whereas the MS SP2 did not.

Even though nobody was able to determine what our SP2 Miracast issue was (including Microsoft), after the Microsoft tech ran some mysterious system diagnostic/repair script at a Microsoft Store,
the problem was
corrected; so, there must have been either a file(s) error or configuration setting that was the cause (unfortunately that mysterious script did not issue a report as to what was found and corrected).

The first thing to confirm would be if those laptops are in fact fully Miracast compatible. Have you run dxdiag on those laptops and, if so, what did it report relating to Miracast for both your network and display adapters? For Miracast to work on any computer, both the network and graphics adapters and their respective drivers must be compatible.

Orlbuckeye

I'm at work now and those are my personal PC's. I did find a list of PC's that are compatible with the Microsoft Display and Dell's has 2 on the list and neither is Alienware and Acer has one but not my model. If i had to guess the Acer probably won't meet the Miracast drivers because it came with Windows 7 but the Alienware came with Windows 8.

Orlbuckeye

I checked the Alienware and it had the same versions that my Surface Book has it's just not compatible with the MS Display adapter.