What's new

Mouse cursor gets stuck.

Z2TT

Hello.

I have a Surface Pro 3 I5/128

A common recurring issue I have is that the cursor gets stuck, trying to move the cursour around with the touchpad does not help.

The issue is only resolved by either :

1. Removing the type cover and attaching it back on

2. Folding the Surface pro 3 closed, then opening it up again.

Has anybody else had this issue, and is there a fix for it?

I'm unsure how I can go about reporting these issues to Microsoft as there doesn't seem to be any sort of report Form to report issues with the Surface Pro 3.

Thanks.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Check those electrical contacts on your keyboard. It sounds like there may be some grease or debris or corrosion interfering with your contacts. Use a pencil eraser to rub over the keyboard contacts, and blow out the receiving port on your Surface.

Both of your solutions involve some physical motion to solve the problem. Unlikely to be electromagnetic interference.

Hope this helps.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The first keyboards (version 1 of type/touch covers) I had the connector was slightly bowed and I had some issues with it at first but after leaving it connected overnight a few days I never had anymore problems. I did clean them with a soft cloth not pencil eraser which helped a little but did not completely resolve the problem.

IMO a pencil eraser should not be used as its a bit too abrasive. I used that trick in the early part of my career as a computer tech but later went to less abrasive means which worked as well without dulling the polished surface.

jpfive

Hello.

I have a Surface Pro 3 I5/128

A common recurring issue I have is that the cursor gets stuck, trying to move the cursour around with the touchpad does not help.

The issue is only resolved by either :

1. Removing the type cover and attaching it back on

2. Folding the Surface pro 3 closed, then opening it up again.

Has anybody else had this issue, and is there a fix for it?

I'm unsure how I can go about reporting these issues to Microsoft as there doesn't seem to be any sort of report Form to report issues with the Surface Pro 3.

Thanks.

I have returned two for a similar problem. In my case the cursor would bury itself in the upper left corner of the display and would show a flashing asterisk-like symbol. The steps your reported would not recover it. I would have to shut down and put the unit aside for awhile. This would usually get the cursor back, but after 30 minutes or so of use the problem would recur. This was with an i5/128. I ordered an Acer Aspire S7 - no cursor problems, but a hard drive crash. Returned that. I have another Surface Pro3 coming, i5/256, this time ordered from the Microsoft site (last two were Best Buy). More RAM, different lot number. Hope third time will be the charm.