What's new

My horror story with Micosoft's service so far

BTW, IIRC MS has opened a retail presence in Mongkok. Probably not as professional or organised as the MS stores in the States, but you may still try...

OP
T

tony8154

BTW, IIRC MS has opened a retail presence in Mongkok. Probably not as professional or organised as the MS stores in the States, but you may still try...

https://news.microsoft.com/en-hk/2015/05/15/20150515/

Interesting. Unfortunately I can almost guarantee you that if i call in or walk in and explain my situation, they're just going to tell me to call Microsoft customer service.

Update #2:

I got an e-mail response from Microsoft about my refund:

My name is Josh with Surface CARE team. Thank you for contacting our support team and notifying us of your concerns regarding an errant charge on your payment method. I investigated the situation and have an update for you.

Our records indicate that your order was cancelled and the hold amount of 3200.00 HKD was released on 6/18/2015. This means you were not charged. In order to verify this, I was able to use the information on your customer profile to confirm this in our payment system. Please note that a hold on your credit card may take one to two billing cycles to be removed depending on your financial institution's policies. Please contact your financial institution to determine their timeline for a hold to be released.

As there is nothing further I can do to assist you with this case, I will be closing this Service Request. However, if you believe this to be in error, please reply to this email with a copy of your financial statement clearly showing a charge on your account. Please note that if the transaction appears as "processing" that transaction is a hold and not a full charge.

I thank you for your time and hope you have a good day!

Josh F.

Escalation Analyst

Global Escalation Support

Tuesday- Saturday: 8 AM - 4:30 PM PST

So I checked my bank account and it's still there as CLEARED, not PROCESSING. Considering at one point there were two or three "processing" items on my account as they tried it numerous times, they are very badly confused and have absolutely the wrong information.

So I sent them a reply immediately with attaching a screenshot of my bank account:

Here's my bank statement.
It says CLEAERED.
And why did you add another charge for $1.03?? That is PROCESSING.

Then I went into commerce.microsoft.com to check my purchase history. I alao sent a screenshot of that which shows as purchase complete. So i sent another email stating:

This also shows COMPLETED.

I'm going to have to make an international call tonight to my bank now to verify this BS.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see the small 1.03 type charges showing up from various merchants and institutions more and more frequently. It's basically transaction testing to verify "stuff". Why they are doing it visible on customer accounts is another matter but again becoming more and more common. my theory is that with all the bank and financial consolidations you cannot assume a transaction bankX will work on all accounts. My account number has never changed although it or the holding bank has been bought and sold numerous times and I didn't have to get new checks because of a transfer at any time so the routing transit numbers continued to work regardless that my account was no longer under the bank name printed on the check. international transfers just complicates matters.

OP
T

tony8154

I see the small 1.03 type charges showing up from various merchants and institutions more and more frequently. It's basically transaction testing to verify "stuff". Why they are doing it visible on customer accounts is another matter but again becoming more and more common. my theory is that with all the bank and financial consolidations you cannot assume a transaction bankX will work on all accounts. My account number has never changed although it or the holding bank has been bought and sold numerous times and I didn't have to get new checks because of a transfer at any time so the routing transit numbers continued to work regardless that my account was no longer under the bank name printed on the check. international transfers just complicates matters.
Right but why charge an account that needs a refund, not another charge??

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Right but why charge an account that needs a refund, not another charge??
Perhaps the issue is in processing the refund and to test/debug it they posted 1.03 so they could refund 1.03 rather than doing the larger amount. When I setup to transfer funds to/from my bank and brokerage they actually did six small transaction before I was allowed to make a transfer. just sayin, this has become common practice.

OP
T

tony8154

Perhaps the issue is in processing the refund and to test/debug it they posted 1.03 so they could refund 1.03 rather than doing the larger amount. When I setup to transfer funds to/from my bank and brokerage they actually did six small transaction before I was allowed to make a transfer. just sayin, this has become common practice.
Ah. I see. I understand. Anyway calling the bank in a bit. Will update soon.

OP
T

tony8154

If I were Microsoft I would have sent a replacement to you via courier right away. This is getting uglier and uglier.

Sigh.
Yeah tell me about it :(

I'm getting sick and tired of this BS and trying to prove that my the f-ing charge is not PROCESSING AND IS F ING CLEARED.

OP
T

tony8154

Update #3

They sent me a reply:

EMAIL TITLE : Xbox Service Request
WHAT?????????????

This is Josh with the Surface CARE team. I'd like to thank you for providing me the images of your bank statement showing the charge you incurred. Upon further review, the charge that you incurred was for an exchange of your Surface Pro 3 device due to a cracked screen on June 11th. Cracked screens are not covered under warranty and thus the charge for the replacement. As this exchange took place in one of the walk in centers, I was unable to view the transaction in my system. However, this charge does appear to be appropriate given the fact that you received a replacement Surface Pro 3 device in exchange for the device with a cracked screen.

As for the $1.03 charge that is appearing on your account, I am unable to view this charge in my system as it appears to be coming from a different department. I would recommend logging into your Microsoft account to investigate where this charge is coming from.

https://commerce.microsoft.com

As the 3200.00 HKD was charged for an out of warranty exchange and you received a replacement device, no refund will be provided. I thank you for your understanding and hope you have a nice day.

Josh F.

Escalation Analyst

Global Escalation Support

Tuesday- Saturday: 8 AM - 4:30 PM PST

and this is how I reply.

First off, when did a Surface Pro 3 suddenly become an XBOX service request??????
This is probably the 10th time I'm explaining this.
I did not get an exchange.
I went to the walk in center, but upon inspection the device was in such a poor condition, I rejected the exchange, meaning I DID NOT GET AN EXCHANGE.
I've told almost every single rep to put that in my case, and they all said they did, but every time I speak with another rep they repeat the same story that you are giving me, that I already have the exchanged product with me.
Again,
I did not receive the exchanged product.
Just so we're clear, here's how it went.
1. I walk into the walk in center with MY broken surface.
2. I gave them my work order number
3. they present me with the refurb model
4. i inspect the product.
5. it's in terrible condition and I REJECT the exchange
6. THEY take it back. NOT. ME.
7. I walk out with MY OWN. NOT. THE. REFURB.
8. NO EXCHANGE WAS MADE.
9. I REPEAT. NO EXCHANGE WAS MADE!

Nucleon

I called about the worn down pen tip because i write a lot too. They told me to take a picture and email them proof. Lol. And it took 3 business days for them to send ONE TIP. I couldn't wait and just went out and bought another pen.

In Korea I called again about pen tips. It was at my door in two days and they sent three.
Yeah, I got them in threes as well