What's new

My SP3 Issues (Heartbeat, Wifi, Keyboard)

FanaticNInja

Hey all just curious if anyone else is having issues with their Surface Pro 3 unit like i am. So far I have the same issues that my SP2 and SP1 unit had (Keyboard) However some new ones have cropped up with the mythical Heartbeat sound (headphones/external speakers) and Wifi turning into a lan connection.

Another important issue is that my Surface Pro 2 (128g) had better FPS than my Surface Pro 3 (128g). I am convinced that my SP3 is a little sketchy, and has visible screen tearing in the metro interface, as well as other areas. Its not a heat issue either. I haven't down clocked, or modified anything, just straight out of the box it felt like it had less FPS than my SP2 unit.

Keyboard issues: Sometimes the keyboard is not recognized when going from connected standby to on state. Usually requires a few un-plug/plug-ins to recognize keyboard. Also, if i turn my SP3 off with keyboard attached, then detach the keyboard and turn on the unit, the on screen keyboard will not show for login, period. Albeit small issue, I can always force show the helper keyboard by going to the bottom left.

Heartbeat sound: When i have headphones plugged in, or external speakers plugged in, after 5ish minutes of no sound events, a feint heartbeat noise will emmit from headphones/speakers. I've tried reverting drivers, changing drivers, this issue always returns.

Wifi issues: Before the supposed WIFI fix i didn't really have any issues. However, after the fix occasionally (once a day) the WIFI will disappear and turn into a lan connection and will require a restart to work normally again.

If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re FPS see this page of the Anandtech Review. Yup you're not imagining it.
Keyboard, yup they do that.
I can't even feel my own heartbeat :)

Astuart32

I am having the same issues with WAN connections appearing as LAN connections. Since the august 19th update my USB3.0 to Gig Ethernet card does not work properly either.

malberttoo

Hey all just curious if anyone else is having issues with their Surface Pro 3 unit like i am. So far I have the same issues that my SP2 and SP1 unit had (Keyboard) However some new ones have cropped up with the mythical Heartbeat sound (headphones/external speakers) and Wifi turning into a lan connection.

Another important issue is that my Surface Pro 2 (128g) had better FPS than my Surface Pro 3 (128g). I am convinced that my SP3 is a little sketchy, and has visible screen tearing in the metro interface, as well as other areas. Its not a heat issue either. I haven't down clocked, or modified anything, just straight out of the box it felt like it had less FPS than my SP2 unit.

Keyboard issues: Sometimes the keyboard is not recognized when going from connected standby to on state. Usually requires a few un-plug/plug-ins to recognize keyboard. Also, if i turn my SP3 off with keyboard attached, then detach the keyboard and turn on the unit, the on screen keyboard will not show for login, period. Albeit small issue, I can always force show the helper keyboard by going to the bottom left.

Heartbeat sound: When i have headphones plugged in, or external speakers plugged in, after 5ish minutes of no sound events, a feint heartbeat noise will emmit from headphones/speakers. I've tried reverting drivers, changing drivers, this issue always returns.

Wifi issues: Before the supposed WIFI fix i didn't really have any issues. However, after the fix occasionally (once a day) the WIFI will disappear and turn into a lan connection and will require a restart to work normally again.

If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.

Hi, welcome to the forum!

There are ongoing WiFi issues, that Microsoft continues to address. I don't work for them nor am I any kind of engineer, but I can only guess it has something to do with the SP3 being the first Connected Standby device.

I will say that my machine was quite buggy the first few weeks until I did a complete reset/reinstall, which you can do from within Win 8. My SP3 was a different machine after that, and I gained an hour of battery time as well.

What is "screen tearing"?