What's new

WiFi issue.

paul jarvis

Hello all.

keep having a problem with my pro 3. it keep dropping the wifi. I am on one page watching a tv program/film etc and when I open a tab it says not connected but I must be connected as the first page is still running. if I then close all pages and try to restart internet explorer I get the message Page is unavailable. A temp fix is to either restart the computer or turn off on the wifi connection. its really annoying.. Have tried to google it but seems most people with wifi issues have problems connecting after sleep but I don't have that problem...

thank you..

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Home Alone?

Happens away from home too?
Sounds like a 2.4GHz wireless phone issue, usually solved by changing your router channel, or connecting at 5GHz.

leeshor

I have the same question, is it only at home? You may want to consider inputting fixed IP and DNS info in that connection but as was mentioned it could be interference on the 2.4GHz band. Cordless phones and microwave ovens are suspect. Also look for a channel conflict with nearby hotspots.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... And nearby microwave communication towers or cell towers, and neighbor routers which "auto" set channels.

My experience is that channels 1, 5, 9 are most prone to collateral interference. Channels 2, 6, 10 are also bad. Choose 3, 7, or 11.

kozak79

Get a decent AC router and you'll be amazed by the speeds you get. I used to have a linksys E3000 and had wifi drop issues. I got myself a netgear R7000 AC router and my speeds went from ~100mbps to 866mbps and never any wifi drops. Make sure to use a 5Ghz band when connecting.

silkrooster

So far the only wifi issue I have had, is knocking my broadband modem out. It requires a hard reset by unplugging the power.
I have this issue on both the surface 3 and a dell laptop. The only time it happens is installing or updating an Adobe app using their manager.
I have had a few times a video dropping the modem, and even a few times at the beginning of the day, turn on system and no net. Even though I still have local network.
My modem is getting old, the router has been upgraded once. So I have it narrowed down to modem or adobe manager. But it really would not surprise me if Time warner updated the IP address during those times.

Edit: BTW eithernet usually is not affected or does not cause the same problem.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
... And nearby microwave communication towers or cell towers, and neighbor routers which "auto" set channels.

My experience is that channels 1, 5, 9 are most prone to collateral interference. Channels 2, 6, 10 are also bad. Choose 3, 7, or 11.
Prime numbers are always best. :)
shh... never mind that 2 & 5 have issues those exceptions are one offs...
Yes two separate one off issues. :D