What's new

Solved My Surface won't boot up - MS support Can't help :-(

OP
M

mseck99

Thank you very much Kif,
I plan on calling MS tech support for an update, I Will mention the tool.

You may have saved me from my wife fury(Pictures) and projects from my Boss :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
So the tool you need Microsoft Dart 8.1. It should be able to get you into the system and extract whatever you need. Unfortunately it's part of MDOT so you'll have to dig around to get a copy of it. Surely Microsoft could help you out since they make both products. ;)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hh826071.aspx
Since Microsoft has his failed SP3 Microsoft should be running this. Very good info though.

Kif

Since Microsoft has his failed SP3 Microsoft should be running this. Very good info though.

You would hope so but there's no guarantee. Most consumer PC outlets have the attitude if there's a problem, format and reload.

OP
M

mseck99

That's pretty much was they said. They couldn't retrieve anything. So i will have to make a Temp purchase (CC Charged) to get the defective device to try the tool. Which i think is pathetic, specially that it was a software issue not my fault.

mohcho

The "techs" in the store may not be proficient enough to perform data recovery on a borked drive. It may be a combination of the Windows installation corrupting and a faulty SSD drive.

I just came back from a trip where I filled up my 16GB SD card and I made sure that I copied all my pictures onto the device AND the microsd card as a backup from my camera. Pictures are hard to replace when you're travelling.

Hope things work out for you.

OP
M

mseck99

Yes I actually have the other half on the pictures backed up on the SD Card (FULL).
I ran out of space. :-(

The device is two weeks old who would have thought that?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's pretty much was they said. They couldn't retrieve anything. So i will have to make a Temp purchase (CC Charged) to get the defective device to try the tool. Which i think is pathetic, specially that it was a software issue not my fault.
Let us know how you make out... if one tool doesn't work perhaps a different one will.

malberttoo

Yeah the phone support is not MS, it's an outsourced company.

Too bad about the tech support in the store. I don't expect them super awesome or anything, but I would expect them to haves resources that they could call or tap into, when they get problems that are too difficult for them to resolve.