What's new

New SP3 Owner in Sacramento, CA

wrkeen

I just received a Surface Pro 3 as a gift . . . nice gift!
I like it but have experienced some start up issues. (Takes forever holding the start button to wake it up.)
Looking for answers I found this site. I'm hoping the members' posts will help me learn how to get the most from the SP3.C
For starters, I gather my start issue has something to do with Hyper-V vs. "Connected Standby". I don't know much about either yet.

malberttoo

I just received a Surface Pro 3 as a gift . . . nice gift!
I like it but have experienced some start up issues. (Takes forever holding the start button to wake it up.)
Looking for answers I found this site. I'm hoping the members' posts will help me learn how to get the most from the SP3.C
For starters, I gather my start issue has something to do with Hyper-V vs. "Connected Standby". I don't know much about either yet.

Welcome to the forum! I was born in Sacramento and have family there.

Describe your "startup issues"??

OP
W

wrkeen

Welcome to the forum! I was born in Sacramento and have family there.

Describe your "startup issues"??
Thanks for the welcome . . If you haven't been back to Sacramento recently, you'd be surprised at how the area has grown.

My startup issue: I usually have the SP3 plugged in. If I close the cover/keyboard for any length of time, to fire it up again, I have to hold the start button for a long time (I'd say 20-30 seconds) before it "wakes up". After that it works fine.

malberttoo

Thanks for the welcome . . If you haven't been back to Sacramento recently, you'd be surprised at how the area has grown.

My startup issue: I usually have the SP3 plugged in. If I close the cover/keyboard for any length of time, to fire it up again, I have to hold the start button for a long time (I'd say 20-30 seconds) before it "wakes up". After that it works fine.

I go back every 4 or 5 years to visit family, but am always glad to leave. :D. I prefer "small" city life.

Did you get the SP3 new, or was it used already (I know you said it was a gift). Honestly if it was me, and had been used before, then I'd do a full reset and return it back to factory state.

In your case, you're not actually waking it up. Holding the power button down for that amount of time is actually killing it and then it's restarting.

OP
W

wrkeen

I go back every 4 or 5 years to visit family, but am always glad to leave. :D. I prefer "small" city life.

Did you get the SP3 new, or was it used already (I know you said it was a gift). Honestly if it was me, and had been used before, then I'd do a full reset and return it back to factory state.

In your case, you're not actually waking it up. Holding the power button down for that amount of time is actually killing it and then it's restarting.
It was purchased new.
I figured that I was actually forcing the SP3 to restart rather than waking it. . . similar to my laptop. And actually, today it did wake up when I opened the cover and hit "enter". This "problem" seems to come and go. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see if it comes up again.

malberttoo

If you're not too moved into it yet, consider a full reset/ restore to factory. I know it sounds dramatic, but it's quite quick. I can't explain why, but the OS that originally came baked into my SP3 was so buggy. 3 weeks after getting it, I did a full restore and it was a new, revving machine. A couple other members have said the same thing.

Just my .02 anyways.

OP
W

wrkeen

If you're not too moved into it yet, consider a full reset/ restore to factory. I know it sounds dramatic, but it's quite quick. I can't explain why, but the OS that originally came baked into my SP3 was so buggy. 3 weeks after getting it, I did a full restore and it was a new, revving machine. A couple other members have said the same thing.

Just my .02 anyways.

Thanks for that input. For the last couple of days, it has been behaving. But "buggy" might be the description of this off and on problem. If it recurs, I'll probably do as you suggest.

Last edited by a moderator: