What's new

No Trade

So, I was looking at the Pro 3, and the store website said they'd take my RT in trade. I've opined on here before that I'd just keep the RT, because I don't like to have electronics which have had my personal info on them get out of my hands. Still, I thought I could restore it to the way it was when it came from the factory or something and get rid of my personal information. Then they told me that for my RT and keyboard and power supply they'd give me 96 dollars. I know it's not worth what I paid for it, but it's still worth at least half of what I paid for it. The battery lasts hours on a charge, the thing looks and works as good as it did when it was new.

What a ripoff, Microsoft.

kozak79

Well I checked on Gazzelle and a Surface RT with keyboard and power supply in good condition is $81 while the Surface 2 RT is $131. You'll get a little more on eBay, but not that much more, maybe $50.

bluegrass

Ya. If you don't need the data on it anymore, I'd do a reset that puts it back to like it was new from the factory. I too have one that is collecting dust. I'm going to give it to one of my grandkids. I would much rather give it to a friend or relative than sell it or trade it for less than $100.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is how junk dealers make money, buy low sell high rinse repeat. :)
Buy for 96, sell for 156 and make $60 for essentially nothing. Then rebuy it for $76 on the next cycle reselling it for 136.

Kif

This is true everywhere. Apple gives you almost nothing for an old iPad.

OP
B

brocharlieb

I've got a son who wants to go to school. I've got a feeling this RT would meet his note taking, paper writing requirements handily. I'd rather do a factory reset and give it to the kid next door than let Microsoft have it for 96 dollars and then give them another 6 or 7 hundred for a Pro 3.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awful trade-in prices across the board, but as has been said, seems to be the norm. Can't be worse than Cex though

bluegrass

Yep. My Surface's aren't going to wind up in a "pickers" truck for them to make a few hundred bucks. Nothing against pickers, but they won't get my Surfaces. The trade in prices probably are in line with a lot of things. You know how much a car depreciates just after you drive it off the dealers lot. I try to look at purchases such as my Surfaces by how much fun, use, and value I got out of them. Even though they aren't really that old, I feel I got my moneys worth out of my RT, Surface Pro, Surface Pro 2, & Surface Pro 3. I still have them and will pass them on to someone in my family, a friend or a charity.