What's new

October Hardware update - no physical keyboard works

rege0039

Help !
Since I installed the October hardware update this morning e I no longer have a working physical keyboard on 8.1.

I have tried both the wireless one connected through my dock and a Surface Keyboard attached directly to the machine, neither work ! Tried installing the Microsoft Keyboard and mouse centre, rebooted multiple times and still no keyboard.

Both work fine if I boot in to 10 technical preview that I have installed in a partition for dual booting.
Anyone else getting this ?

OP
R

rege0039

And you installed the update this morning ? On Windows 8.1 ?

What make and manufacturer of keyboard are you using ?

My mouse has no problems and both mouse and keyboard work great on Windows 10 preview.

accesser

I've not had this issue are you able to remote desktop into the 8.1 install and take a look in Device Manager to see whats going on
Depending on your security settings you could even try opening compmgmt.msc on another computer and connecting to your SP3 with the keyboard issues

OP
R

rege0039

Did a system restore to last night and keyboard is now working again.

I will reset what I did this morning after the update, then create a restore point, then redo the hardware update and see what happens.

Might be time to tell Microsoft but am very interested to know if others hit the same problem.

wditters

Works fine on my end as well. Type cover works, USB keyboard works. Also, depending on which batch of the October update you received, the 1.5Mb update that I got yesterday is specifically treating the Mavell BT/Wifi combo card firmware. I notice that both Wifi and BT kick in a lot quicker and are more stable.

OP
R

rege0039

I've got TouchMe gesture control installed but not sure how that would make a difference as the fault happened after installing the update only.

I have a Logitech mouse and a Microsoft Sculpt comfort wireless keyboard.

Are others using a wireless keyboard ? I wonder if changes to the wifi/Bluetooth are making the problems ? But then why would the TypeCover 3 stop working as well ?!?!

wditters

I am alternating between a Sculpt Mobile / Arc combo and a Logitech K810 /T630 combo. All work fine.