What's new

off-screen window after moving it between laptop and monitor

cuchu

Surface Laptop 5 with Docking station 4, 1 monitor connected with USBC to HDMI adapter, all brand new, all MS products to make sure things work. Sadly they don´t, never had so many problems with a new laptop, and this one is the most expensive I ever bought!!
Cannot recover an off-screen window. After 10 hours of trying unsuccessfully and googling every possible solution.. Close the app, reopen it, and it is lost again somewhere on top of the screen. Please don´t ask me to reinstall the app. It is the latest version, I have been using it for years, actually a simple app, it is not the fault of the app.

Garyjk

have you tried this?
with the app open:
hover over the icon in the taskbar until the thumbnai appears, don't click anything
move the mouse over the thumbnail and right click it. you should get a menu (restore, move, size, etc.)
click on move. if move is grayed out, click restore and start over,
presss an arrow key once, this will lock the pointer to the window. or, you can just cdlick, hold, and drag.
then, without clicking any button on the mouse, jut drag the window to the screen you're using, right or left.
it should appear on your scereen

Attachments

• after hovering and then right clicking on the thumbnail.PNG
    after hovering and then right clicking on the thumbnail.PNG
    7.2 KB · Views: 138
OP
C

cuchu

have you tried this?
with the app open:
hover over the icon in the taskbar until the thumbnai appears, don't click anything
move the mouse over the thumbnail and right click it. you should get a menu (restore, move, size, etc.)
click on move. if move is grayed out, click restore and start over,
presss an arrow key once, this will lock the pointer to the window. or, you can just cdlick, hold, and drag.
then, without clicking any button on the mouse, jut drag the window to the screen you're using, right or left.
it should appear on your scereen
Yes, but that does not work on W11 or at least on my Surface laptop. Anyway, thank you for the reply, I wrote to the software company and they fixed it for me, I will need to be more careful, Surface Dock is not very reliable, at least by far different than having a PC with 2 HDMI outputs, connected to 2 monitors, which is exactly what it tries to emulate, with limitations. I had that connection with my old PC for a decade, with no issues.2 days with the
Docking station, full of problems, but I am getting there.

OP
C

cuchu

Back to square 1. Turn on my New Surface Laptop, connected to my new Dockstation 4 with USB-C adaptors connected to 2 external monitors. All brand new, NADA, not even connecting 1 monitor works.
I am probably running over 10 hours of problem-solving with my "brand new Surface set-up". Most expensive hardware ever bought, by far the worst experience and time-wasting.Please help, and please don´t give me the "update this and that answer" already did...
Reading from other people, this hardware just does not justify the price tag.

Browningate

Windows key + shift + arrowkey

That should help move any window that is in focus that you cannot reach with the pointing devices.

grihshobha

Surface Laptop 5 with Docking station 4, 1 monitor connected with USBC to HDMI adapter, all brand new, all MS products to make sure things work. Sadly they don´t, never had so many problems with a new laptop, and this one is the most expensive I ever bought!!
Cannot recover an off-screen window. After 10 hours of trying unsuccessfully and googling every possible solution.. Close the app, reopen it, and it is lost again somewhere on top of the screen. Please don´t ask me to reinstall the app. It is the latest version, I have been using it for years, actually a simple app, it is not the fault of the app.
It may be on the invisible or non-existent monitor.