What's new

Official Windows 10, post upgrade discussions and problems

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Running the USB-based update from within Windows was how I had to update from 8.1 to 10162 a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps the other option is for Win7 upgrades?

When you didn't have a key to put in, did you notice an option to skip key entry? I've heard that some people saw this, skipped it, and had Win10 go online and activate without difficulty.
Nope, the box was there as the only thing active, no skip option, there were two greyed out buttons not active... back and continue I believe. All I could do was close the dialog box which canceled the install.

ackj

Hey all,

This might be a silly question but it's been hard to find answers cause search engines don't like you searching symbols.

I have two Surface Pro 3's. Both are the are both i7 devices with the only real difference between them is that one is a 256GB one and one is a 512GB one, but also have the standard type covers for the surface pro 3

I've gone through and done the Windows 10 upgrade on both of them and yet on one (the one I'm using now) the @ symbol is as the where the keyboard symbols say on the number 2 key. However on the other one the @ symbol is for some reason where the quotation character is, next to the Enter key is?

Am I missing something here? They are both upgrades in the exact same way yet I can't seem to figure out why the @ symbol has moved on one and not the other.

Thanks, Josh

Brandy

I have a surface pro 1 just upgraded to Win 10. Mostly went well except Bluetooth does not work. It fees like the BT radio is not on. Device Manager BT is ok.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,
--Brandy

Problem solved. There were two problems, first was the W10 update download was corrupted, second the Microsoft Edge BT mouse will not have a driver until 4th qtr 2015. Problem one was found with "sfc /scannow" it found non-repairable files. Did the update recovery back to W8.1. A patch update was started which down loaded W10 again. Installation restarted and when done BT was enabled and working. My BT speaker and keyboard worked. Mouse showed in BT discovery and then dropped out.

I went to MS Store today and found out the MS Edge mouse is currently not supported. As a temporary fix the store gave me a cheap W10 BT mouse which is working perfectly.

Last edited:
Running the USB-based update from within Windows was how I had to update from 8.1 to 10162 a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps the other option is for Win7 upgrades?

When you didn't have a key to put in, did you notice an option to skip key entry? I've heard that some people saw this, skipped it, and had Win10 go online and activate without difficulty.
I read that if you pick this option, that 10 then digs down into your PC and uses your installed key from the registry. "If you’re upgrading from a licensed copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, you can click the tiny “skip” option; Microsoft will dig out the license key from the depths of your machine. If this is a brand-new installation, of course, you’ll need to enter the proper key." http://www.pcworld.com/article/2953...tall-windows-10-on-your-pc.html#tk.nl_pcwbest

ScottyS

I have a surface pro 1 just upgraded to Win 10. Mostly went well except Bluetooth does not work. It fees like the BT radio is not on. Device Manager BT is ok.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,
--Brandy
Have you looked in Settings/Devices/Bluetooth?
upload_2015-8-1_15-46-49.png

What device are you trying to have connected by BT?

ScottyS

thinking about reverting back to windows 8 and upgrading again to see if I can get back Windows Photo Viewer
My Win8 would not upgrade to Win10 so I Restored Win8.1 from a USB recovery drive I had made and then upgraded it to Win10... and I got Windows Photo Viewer! So. that may be the way to go.

ZHChan

SP3:
1. When using non-native resolution full screen in games (I am playing Dota 2), the cursor location doesn't point to what it is suppose to. Only works with native resolution which is disaster then throttle kicks in. Tried the latest Display Driver from Intel and still the same.
2. Notification always pop up very briefly saying something like asking me to enable antivirus. It seems defender restarting itself randomly.
3. Onscreen keyboard don't pop outs automatically when you really need it.

vap0rtranz

Have you looked in Settings/Devices/Bluetooth?
View attachment 6550

What device are you trying to have connected by BT?

Also saw this issue after upgrading my SP Pro 1 to Win10. Everything worked after verifying Bluetooth was on. I believe I'd turned on Airplane Mode as a test but after turning Wifi back on the Bluetooth did not come back on.

I don't have a Microsoft Edge mouse -- confusing product names there ... Microsoft web browser versus bluetooth mouse :) -- but I do have a Bluetooth keyboard that was connected in Win8.1 and still connects in Win10.

CrippsCorner

Didn't see this thread for some reason yesterday... would this be an appropriate place to discuss Continuum?

As far as I knew this would be something activated when I released the keyboard from my Surface? Firstly, nothing happens... secondly, if it does what I think it does, i.e. adds a sort of Start Screen to it, can I get that to permanently activate even when the keyboard's attached? Reason is because I have the Surface screen used exclusively as a touchscreen, whilst using the attached keyboard for typing on my externally attached monitor.

Edit: Am I getting confused and Continuum is only related to phone usage? Really haven't been keeping up to date with Windows 10 news!

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't see this thread for some reason yesterday... would this be an appropriate place to discuss Continuum?

As far as I knew this would be something activated when I released the keyboard from my Surface? Firstly, nothing happens... secondly, if it does what I think it does, i.e. adds a sort of Start Screen to it, can I get that to permanently activate even when the keyboard's attached? Reason is because I have the Surface screen used exclusively as a touchscreen, whilst using the attached keyboard for typing on my externally attached monitor.

Edit: Am I getting confused and Continuum is only related to phone usage? Really haven't been keeping up to date with Windows 10 news!
Tablet Mode is disabled while using external monitors, but you can get the full screen Start Menu from the Settings... Personalization.... Start
To adjust how the Surface goes into Tablet Mode - Settings.... System.... Tablet mode

Kris

Adobe Lightroom keeps crashing. Tried updating, deleted the catalog folder, and reinstalled Windows. had it working for a couple days but now it edits one pic and crashes.