What's new

Optical CD/DVD Drives for Surface 2

FoxForce5

Hi all...newbie question so forgive me if already been addressed.
Does Surface 2 allow you to connect & utilise optical (CD/DVD) drives via USB3 port? If so, are there any apps I need to download in order for it to work (if indeed it does work at all)?
Thanking you in anticipation!!!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It works without issue, you may need a Y Cable to power the device as the USB Ports are a bit under powered. For movies you'll need an App that has the ability to play it...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have and old USB DVD player that requires 1.5A/7.5W. It wont work unless I use a Y cable or the power adapter it came with, then it works fine. I measured 750ma coming from the Surface USB port with fluctuations higher but couldn't get a stable reading. My current instrument isn't sensitive enough to read momentary surges and doesn't have a peak current function.

Underpowered may not be the correct term as it appears to provide the required 900ma for USB3, it just doesn't deliver more than the required power which is optional although many devices do provide higher power I'm not sure any tablets do.

OP
FoxForce5

FoxForce5

I have and old USB DVD player that requires 1.5A/7.5W. It wont work unless I use a Y cable or the power adapter it came with, then it works fine. I measured 750ma coming from the Surface USB port with fluctuations higher but couldn't get a stable reading. My current instrument isn't sensitive enough to read momentary surges and doesn't have a peak current function.

Underpowered may not be the correct term as it appears to provide the required 900ma for USB3, it just doesn't deliver more than the required power which is optional although many devices do provide higher power I'm not sure any tablets do.

Thanks for the info...Surface sounding better & better by the day.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks...great reviews, I will bookmark this for future reference. However, I am getting a little confused (doesn't take much by the way)...do DVD drives NOT work on Surface 2 (not Pro)? Not interested in Blu-ray just DVD/CD capabilities.
Thanks again.

again.
It works on the Surface 2....

kundas1

Sorry but it didn't work on my surface 2, it shows up but when I attempt to play a movie it disconnects and connects... in a loop. Never have been able to get a DVD or BluRay to play/work