What's new

Picked one up today

raqball

Picked up a Surface Pro 3 with the i5 this morning from Best Buy. So far I am really liking it. This is my 1st Windows 8 experience and I am a bit surprised how much I like it. Previously I've avoided Windows 8 because I didn't think I'd like it.

The main use for me will be as a Tablet with the added benefit of it also being a powerful PC when needed. I recently sold my MacBook Pro Retina and I tired a Samsung Tab Pro 12.1 before buying the Surface Pro 3.

Windows 8 is not as bad as I thought it would be and it's actually pretty nice in my opinion. I really like the Surface Pro 3 build quality and the screen is gorgeous. I am also really liking the pen that was included. I have not yet purchased the keyboard and I'm not sure if I will as like I said, its main purpose for me will be as a tablet.

dleuen

Congrats on your SP3! This forum is a great resource for you. I agree, with an open mind Windows 8 is not too bad but as you use it more I'm sure you'll discover the things that are still totally messed up. Surface Pro really is a nice device though.

revmike

I tried to avoid windows 8 like the plague, but after my 12 year old desktop died I had no choice. Ever since then I liked it. When the surface pro came out before my desktop gave up the ghost I wanted one, but not with windows 8. I even investigated the possibility of putting windows 7 on it.

malberttoo

Welcome to the forum!

I also avoided Win 8 before I got my SP3. And I'm not saying I'm "in love" with Win 8 or anything, but now I totally "get" how it is so perfect on a touch device.

Anyways, ask lots of questions! :cool:

mseck99

Welcome my friend!

I went from wanting only the tablet too. i ended up buying the keyboard and docking station... Now, Its my tablet/desktop/laptop.

alex2020

Picked up a Surface Pro 3 with the i5 this morning from Best Buy. So far I am really liking it. This is my 1st Windows 8 experience and I am a bit surprised how much I like it. Previously I've avoided Windows 8 because I didn't think I'd like it.

The main use for me will be as a Tablet with the added benefit of it also being a powerful PC when needed. I recently sold my MacBook Pro Retina and I tired a Samsung Tab Pro 12.1 before buying the Surface Pro 3.

Windows 8 is not as bad as I thought it would be and it's actually pretty nice in my opinion. I really like the Surface Pro 3 build quality and the screen is gorgeous. I am also really liking the pen that was included. I have not yet purchased the keyboard and I'm not sure if I will as like I said, its main purpose for me will be as a tablet.

How do you like the transition from ios to windows? Was it easy for you?

OP
raqball

raqball

How do you like the transition from ios to windows? Was it easy for you?
The transition was a little easier for me as there is a Windows 7 desktop in my sons room that I maintain and use every so often. My last full time use of Windows was on XP.

I am still fumbling around with Windows 8 but so far its been a fairly painless transition.

I do have a few questions though for those who may know.

1. Can I show battery percentage on the Metro screen.
2. Do I need full fledged virus protection. I am using what it came with for now which I believe is Windows Defender. I don't visit adult sites and am pretty cautious when browsing. I never click links in email that I am unsure about.
3. The pop up keyboard is a bit finicky. Sometimes it won't pop up after tapping in a text box. Is there a solution to force it to show in these instances.

Thanks for the welcome all.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Analysts, sock puppets, and Internet Trolls have created a lot of Fear Uncertainty and Doubt about Windows 8 which people are starting to find out isn't nearly as bad as its been made out to be.

sleith001

Windows 8 is not as bad as I thought...

The truth is Windows 8 is remarkable improvement over Windows 7. Just like Windows Vista is huge improvement over XP (5 years of work!). Simple fact: Windows 8 = Windows 7 (improved) - startbutton + Metro interface + Apps. If someone has problem with missing start button, then get one.

It's remarkable the entire Tech media lies about the some obvious facts. Amazing that when everybody lies, it's becoming a standard. I certainly underestimated the power of the icrap holding crowd in the tech media. What you expect when a tech writer say, "I am a icrap user, now I am reviewing a Windows product".

I just hope people use their judgement, not to listen to what the crappy Microsoft hatters say.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I installed windows 8 about a month ago for no other reason than I'll have to beat used to it if I want an sp3. As a completely casual user, the only improvement for me over windows 7 is a faster boot. Other than that it takes many steps back which I then have to go out of my way to try and bypass, which often then create their own issues.