What's new

Power Saver mode = 100% disk usage (freeze and laggy)

OP
N

Nil Edwin

The problem is not the warrantly, the problem are the brazil fees and taxes. Even if i return it, brazil rules will make me pay 40% of $990,00.
I dont have that money....
Ps: i hate my country....

GoodBytes

Well the goverment does what people want and support. If not then they would be on the streets. But anyway... that's a different topic and not being helpful right now.
Well, do what was suggested, if not, then try to see if you have faults in your ssd: CrystalDiskInfo - Software - Crystal Dew World
else, well contact Microsoft for support maybe they know. If you need to send it for replacement.. well.. no choice. You can see if they send you one while you keep yours, but expect them to put a hold of the amount of the system on your credit card until they have your Surface Pro 2 back. However I THINK they give you a month. So if shipping takes longer... well.... you might be screwed. So you have to see all, this with them.

If you have a microsoft store where you are, I would go there for your replacement

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Open up the Power Management Control Panel and select Change Power Settings, Then select Change Advanced Power Settings, and look under PCI Express...expand under Link State Power Management.... and look under On Battery and make sure that it is set to Maximum Power Savings. The was a bug in one of the updates that made Power Savings set that setting to Off. If that is the case it would manifest the symptoms you're describing...

OP
N

Nil Edwin

Open up the Power Management Control Panel and select Change Power Settings, Then select Change Advanced Power Settings, and look under PCI Express...expand under Link State Power Management.... and look under On Battery and make sure that it is set to Maximum Power Savings. The was a bug in one of the updates that made Power Savings set that setting to Off. If that is the case it would manifest the symptoms you're describing...

it is already on "maximum power savings", so it means thats not the problem ):

GoodBytes

Ok. Create a new Power Plan:
- Start > type: Power Option > Enter
- Then click on Create a power plan on the left side column
- Select Balance, and Enter a name like "Extended Battery Life" or something.
- Then click on Next and Create.
- Then click on Change plan settings for it, and then change advance power settings.

Now, configure the power plan to be extra power saving for every option.

Once done, set it, and see if your problem is still there.

GoodBytes

Guys, i just downloaded the January2014SurfacePro2.zip 158.1 MB but no idea how i can manually install this.
Can i get some help?
Maybe a manual installation will fix it!

Download Surface Pro 2 firmware and driver pack from Official Microsoft Download Center

Yyyeaa this a bit tricky. it's targeted at IT. If you don't know what to do, then it's best to leave it aside until the end. It's basically all the drivers but without a nice convenient setup. While normally it's not very complicated, we also dont' want you to get some drivers newer than others, because you forgot one, and then you have problems later on with future firmware updates,

OP
N

Nil Edwin

Ok. Create a new Power Plan:
- Start > type: Power Option > Enter
- Then click on Create a power plan on the left side column
- Select Balance, and Enter a name like "Extended Battery Life" or something.
- Then click on Next and Create.
- Then click on Change plan settings for it, and then change advance power settings.

Now, configure the power plan to be extra power saving for every option.

Once done, set it, and see if your problem is still there.

I will try it later!
Another question: i just syncronized my surface account and my desktop account.
Surface is using original windows 8.1 pro, while the desktop is using the "YO-HAI-HO AND A BOTTLE OF RUM" version.

Since they sinc some stuff, it is possible my surface is getting the "bad stuff" from the non-updated windows 8 on desktop?

Ps: HD and wifi are showing some activity, even when im not using. Thats a good thing, right?

GoodBytes

Ah! Welll.... that could be your problem.
Non-genuine OS is the WORST thing you can do. Why? Because they are usually hack spyware and viruses embedded at the OS level (rootkit style), meaning that no antivirus or security software can detect them, as the your security software sees it as if it part of Windows.

So it could be spreading, using Windows 8 sync malware to your Surface Pro 2. That explain the high system usage on power saving, and the the wireless activity when not doing anything.

I would refresh Windows 8 (hopefully that;s not infected), and not setup SkyDrive sync. See if your problem is solved.

Note that if you are in engineering or computer science, you can get Windows 8 for free from your school which could be registered to Microsoft MSNDAA/DreamSpark Premium, if not, you get to enjoy a nice discount on Win8 from the Microsoft online store.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Who know what cr@p you're syncing from a illegitimate copy of Windows... in good conscience my only advice a scrap your Surface and do a complete factory reset and not sync, I would also recommend that you bring your other machine into compliance...

OP
N

Nil Edwin

Also, i let it all night turned on on "balanced" mod and "install updates automatically" , has you guys sayd me to do, but the i just woke up and the problem still there );